Monday, May 19, 2008

The British Museum Case - 6


Miriam unfastened the silver broach that fastened her long black cloak and took off the all-enveloping black garment. As Miriam removed her cloak, I realised exactly why she wore her hood. Her hair was purple, not dyed, but naturally purple. It was long and curled slightly, but it was definitely purple. Her eyes were blank white orbs that glowed gently, and her lips were purple as her hair was - what was more, that wasn't lipstick!

"That.. is why I cannot reveal my face," she said.
"Sunglasses," I replied practically. "What happened to you?"
"I... I was born like this. My father was the leader of a cult that practiced black magic, and he wove spells around me in the womb. From those spells I derive my power - but that power terrifies me. I am cut off from the rest of the world, only Shianna is my link here. I must find her."
I sensed her desperation and I smiled.
"Okay, let's go to the British Museum, Miriam."
Miriam put her cloak back on. I assumed that she felt more comfortable wearing it with other people around. Fair enough, her eyes made her look pretty odd. Everything else could be carried off as cosmetic, but not those eyes. They seemed to look into your soul.
"I... I unsettle you." It was not a question. She knew how I felt, and she was telling me.
"Yes. I'm sorry..."
"It is an effect I have on people. I am quite used to it now."
She wasn't, but I wasn't going to press the point. She seemed the sensitive type.
"Now we shall return to the museum."
"Better make it a quiet corner outside," I warned. "The police may have closed it due to rampaging mummies."
Scruff laughed. Miriam simply opened a portal and stepped through. We followed, not knowing what we might find on the other side.

No comments: