Thursday, June 19, 2008

The British Museum Case - 7

Miriam had found a quiet street for us to appear on, and no-one saw us emerge from her magical portal. I led the way back towards the Museum entrance.
"Did your friend raise the mummies, or did the enemy?" I asked her pointedly.
"From what I saw, I think that it was the Morrigan, She is confused and afraid, she knows that she is the last of her kind, and she fears the enemy."
"WHY?" Scruff asked. "I mean, I know that this thing's got to be some kind of evil monster, but if your friend's really a powerful sorceress, why can't she just defeat it?"
"It too is possessed of great power," Miriam answered simply. "Its evil is beyond that of a mere man, and I fear that has confused the Morrigan."
"She's quite a nice girl really," Laura offered her opinion. "I met her in Cheltenham. A nice red-haired Irish girl. She LOOKED about sixteen, but Miriam said..."
"It is complicated," Miriam said simply.
Police thronged the forecourt of the Museum. I wasn't at all surprised. After all, mummies had just come to life inside the place. I recognised the car of Inspector Greenwell of the Weird Crimes unit of Special Branch. But I'm not exactly popular with the police, and Laura's Black Kitten persona is even less popular, ever since she set fire to a warehouse in Greenwich belonging to her Dad.

Scruff makes the most interesting friends.

"No way in," I reported.
"No," Miriam said quietly. "Not for you. But I can enter even a sealed room."
"We'll need to change our clothes," I warned.
"I can do that as well."
We hurried back to the alleyway, and there Miriam spoke a few words. Instantly our clothes were replaced by the costumes we wear when crime-fighting.
"And now we go in," the mysterious black-cloaked girl said seriously.

No comments: