Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The British Museum Case: 9

I started forward to help Miriam, but the fake police officer gestured with his gun, his finger tightening on the trigger.

"No you don't, cat-girl," he warned. "You try to help her, and you're next."

I hesitated. Laura didn't. She hurried to Miriam's side, only to be confronted with the muzzle of the fake policeman's gun pointed right at her black-cowled face.

"No you don't, Black kitten. You're all my prisoners. But the magic girl has to die." The look in his eyes told me he was serious. This man was under control by something other than human, like he was possessed or something. And he was going to kill Miriam unless I did something to stop him. But what? He couldn't take us all at once, but if any of us tried anything, he's kill Laura. I don't sacrifice my friends.

"So, I've got you all now. You don't dare stop me!" he crowed. "I've got you at my mercy! My masters will be pleased with this."

"Oh, I'm sure they will be," Laura said. Her mask, covering her whole face the way it did, hid her expression. It meant she looked quite sinister, and her face was unreadable. It was a shame, I thought, that he had a gun pressed to her head.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" she replied. "But I don't talk to men who hold guns to my head."

"You certainly won't talk if I shoot you in the head!" he declared. "Now talk."

"You don't want Miriam. You want the Morrigan. She's onto your masters, and she's determined to destroy them. She can, you know. And THEY know. She's incredibly powerful. Miriam was trying to find her..."

"The Morrigan's deranged. Even I know that. My masters have made sure that she's helpless!"

"You're wrong," Laura replied. "That's just what she WANTS you to think..."

As she talked, I edged closer to Miriam's fallen fugure. She was covered by her cloak, and she lay still and limp. This man wanted her dead, and she was unconscious and vulnerable. I had to do something to help. Stealthily I crept closer to her.

Suddenly the armed man whirled to face me, his gun pointed right at my heart. My costume makes it clear enough that I don't wear armour.

"Move any closer and you die!"

"That will not happen."

I knew Miriam's voice at once. An invisible force tore the man's gun from his hands and hurled it across the room. Miriam looked up, one hand holding her up.

"Miriam!"

"We must go! Now!"

As I watched, SOMETHING emerged from the man's body. It was evil, like a demon. I cried out in warning, and the man screamed.

"Now!" Miriam cried. There was a blinding flash, and everything went dark.

No comments: