Thursday, September 13, 2007

Evolve or die! 24


Take my advice, don't get knocked out by a nutcase with a dart-gun on her hand, it hurts. Then they rant at you. I've seen it all before, and I don't like it. Still, it's better than being whacked over the head and getting concussion. I really hate that.

I came around slowly in the derelict mansion to find that I'd been tied to a chair, and my belt, gloves and boots and been removed. Apparently Toxic knew where I kept my escape kit. Or at least suspected it.
"So, you're awake?"
Toxic was standing over me, gloating. I looked up. She smiled.
"Jane Hill. I should have suspected that you were that sanctimonious bigot. Your sort conspire to keep us from the truth."
Of course she'd unmasked me. She was a villain. It was the sensible thing to do.
"You're mad," I told her. No banter, just the facts.
"They said Einstein was mad, they said Columbus was mad, they said that Copernicus was mad..."
"They said King George III was mad too. And they said Louie was mad."
"Who's Louie?"
"My uncle. He was mad. Just because people say you're mad doesn't mean you're not."
Little-known fact, but one that has to be mentioned once in a while. These mad scientists expect that we'll all accept their crackpot theories. Doesn't work that way, I've seen too many.
"In centuries to come they'll see my true worth, they'll remember me..."
"As a murderous crackpot, Coral. So, Toxic's you, a mad plan to wipe out all the 'unfit'?"
"Before Columbus, everyone thought the world was flat..."
"That's not true, many ancient seafaring cultures worked out on their own that it's round. But you're not a Columbus, Toxic, you're a killer. Your only claim to fame is that you've found a particularly nasty application of Darwin's theory. Social Darwinism taken to the ultimate - kill those you deem to be unfit. Hitler did the same thing."
That was when she hit me in the mouth.
"You ignorant fundementalist bigot! How dare you speak to me like that! You're the past - I'm the future. And in two hours every drug user in London will be dead. You can't stop me!"
I hoped Scruff could.

No comments: