Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Evolve or Die! 14.


I raised my hands and sighed.
"All right, I surrender." I said. My belt was swiftly taken off, and I was roughly manhandled down the stairs to where a very annoyed Scruff was waiting, also captive, and without her belt. She was struggling in the grip of a large ape-like thug (I think villains have a secret captive breeding programme for them).
"Robin!" I cried. Scruff stopped struggling.
"Grey! What happened?"
"Bloke pushed a gun in my back, I decided to surrender."
"Same thing happened to me, but I'm the sidekick. I'm allowed to be captured. You're supposed to be too clever for that..."
"So sue me," I answered. "Even Batman gets captured. And at least I get hit over the head less often."
"Yes," Scruff smiled. " That's one good thing. You know, I guess all those superheroes who get hit on the head all the time do get.. less smart over time."
Funny, I thought. But when you're captured by a baddie, what can you do except joke about it?
"Ah! The Girl In Grey!"
We had company. A large, bald man who looked like Lex Luthor after eating about a ton of lard.
"Hi," I smiled. "This is Robin, my assistant. She does other superheroes if you ask nicely. And if the other heroes wear enough clothes. You're Spiv Barrick, I'd know that mug anywhere."
"And I'd know you, you cocky little girl! So, you're poking your nose in where it's not wanted again!"
"Sure. It's what I do. Like you sell drugs. I just came from one of your dealers who was murdered. Care to tell me why? What did he know that meant he had to die?"
"I'm asking the questions, girl!"
"That doesn't mean I can't ask something," I replied. "Spiv, junkies are dying in this city. YOU know something about it."
"Junkies die all the time."
"Not like this. These people have been deliberately poisoned with something that dissolves every blood-vessel in their bodies. It's disgusting and incredibly painful. There's something in the stuff they're taking - and your dealers are selling it."
'Spiv' looked at me in horror.
"No! It can't be!" I saw the blood drain from his face, and I knew.
"You take the stuff too, don't you?"
"Yes! I get it from..."
Something buzzed through the window and hit him. I knew what it was before I saw the feathers of the dart.
"Toxic!" Spiv gasped as the poison took effect. "buy it from... Toxic!"
blood bubbled in his throat, then he fell. We could do nothing for him. But we knew his killer was called Toxic.
A menacing name if ever there was one!

No comments: