Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Evolve or Die! 15.


We faced no resistance from 'Spiv's' men. They were too shocked by the death of their leader. As for me, I was glad to have a name for the mysterious killer - even if it was a code-name. It was more than the Sparrow had from her high-tech methods. Which goes to show that old-fashioned detective work can still pay off.
We got home after midnight. I was exhausted, and so was Scruff. She just took off her cape. mask, gloves, boots and belt and crashed on the sofa in her Robin costume. I got as far as my bedroom before collapsing on the bed in an untidy heap. Late night work can take a lot out of a girl, especially seeing two men murdered in front of you in one of the nastiest ways I know of.
We had to get a sample of the contaminated drugs, I thought. Find out where it was coming from, find Toxic and shut down the operation.
But who was Toxic? Not an ordinary drug-runner, that was for sure. Too many different drugs. Yet Toxic was channelling them through the usual underworld drug-dealers. If 'Spiv' was dead, that meant he was expendable. Toxic had another man unknowingly feeding hidden death to dug- addicts. Don't get me wrong, I'm opposed to drugs as much as (and probably more than) the police. But killing drug addicts, particularly the way Toxic did it, is NEVER right.
I knew why Toxic was using the two-part poison. The addicts would change their suppliers pretty quickly if users started dropping dead. But this way thousands of people, not just hardcore addicts but students, office workers, clubbers, people who experimented then never took anything again, would be in danger. Then the second part wsould be administered. But how? If by mixing it with the drugs, then people could and would switch. So how?

I heard a tap that Scruff had not turned off properly dripping. Why, I thought as I got up, do sounds like dripping taps sound so much louder when you're trying to get to sleep?
"Scruff!" I called as I went back into the living-room. She groaned.
"Sis? It's really late and I'm tired."
"You left the tap dripping. Do you know how much water...?" I paused. It was as if a lightbulb had gone on. You know, like those old cartoons.
"Sis?"
"Water!" I cried in horror. "That's how Toxic's going to administer the other half of the poison - through the water supply!"

No comments: