Monday, July 23, 2007

Evolve or Die! 17.


I got up some time after ten to find Scruff and Emily (Scruff still in her pyjamas) sitting on the sofa watching morning television together while Emily polished her sword.
"Anything about 'Spiv' yet?" I asked. Scruff shook her head.
"No. I think it's being covered up, same as all these deaths of drug addicts. I bet the police haven't a clue what's going on, and it terrifies them."
"I bet you're right," I replied. I was going to go and take my morning shower when the 'phone rang. I picked it up.
"Hello, Jane Hill speaking."
"Jane! It's Diana!"
Diana Dickson, my old friend from university!
"Diana! Hi! How's things?"
"Jane, I can't talk now. I need to see you as soon as possible. I'm in the Natural History Museum..."
"One hour, in the Cafe at Marks and Spencer, Kensington High Street," I suggested. "I'll bring Scruff along too."
"Of course! she lives with you now!"
"She does. I rather like our arrangement. Well, most of the time."
"Hey, Scruff's a nice person, Jane. I like her."
"Thankfully, so do I. Okay, Diana, Marks and Spencer, in an hour. 'Bye!"
"'Bye!" she cried cheerily. I put down the 'phone.
I was worried, and so was Diana. Something scared her, and she wanted to talk to me about it. Most people, who think of Jane Hill as a quiet, but ultimately rather dull heiress, would be surprised to hear Diana ask ME for help. But I've been up the Amazin with Diana, and I saved her life twice then. She knows I'm smart, fast and athletic, and that I can be relied on to keep a secret. She DOESN'T know I'm the Girl in Grey, but that's a good thing.
"Sis?" Scruff asked.
"Diana Dickson. She's in trouble. She knows something she can't talk about over the 'phone. Get dressed, we'll be meeting her in Kensington..."
"I heard that bit. How about Emily?"
"Good point. Emily, will you come with us? Stay invisible and act as a bodyguard."
"Okay," she agreed, red eyes gleaming.
I wondered what it was Diana had discovered, and I hoped she would be able to tell me.

No comments: