Thursday, August 23, 2007

Evolve or Die! 21.



















[Girl in Grey back]
I hung on tight as the car sped through London. Being a Londoner myself, I recognised the route to Canning Town, and I didn't like it at all. Well, you try going anywhere on the back of a car and see how you like it. Especially the distance between Kensington and Canning Town. I don't have to say I was grateful for my hard-wearing costume! I mean, I'm used to travelling in unusual positions, but the back of a car's murder on the clothes!
We arrived at a derelict mansion, and I slipped off before the car stopped, hiding myself in the junkyard that surrounded the mansion. I could see that it had been an impressive building once, set in its own grounds. Those grounds were almost totally eaten up by light industrial units now, and the house was abandoned.
Or it SEEMED abandoned. It was exactly the sort of place a super-villain might use as a base. Had I been taken to Toxic?
Why had Diana been kidnapped, not killed? Toxic wasn't exactly shy about killing, after all, so there had to be a reason. I just didn't know what it was. After all, Diana didn't have any scierntific skills that Toxic might need, no secrets, except that of Toxic's identity.
Not that I wasn't glad Toxic hadn't killed Diana. I'm rather fond of Diana, and I was partly to blame for her getting kidnapped like this.
I moved silently among the rusting wrecks of cars that surrounded the old mansion, looking for a way in. There had to be one, I reasoned. A window where the boards had come loose, or a door. I could see the 'unsafe structure, keep out' signs on the mansion's doors and windows, but I also saw the front door opened and Diana dragged inside. If it was safe enough for the usual London thugs who used to be boxers (apparently boxing didn't keep THEM out of crime), it was safe for my svelte form.
The boards on the windows did mean no-one saw me creeping through the wrecks in the scrapyard around the mansion, and at last I reached a door. It was padlocked, but locks are simple things for me, and I had it open in seconds. I slipped inside, into a world of semi-darkness, a world where I smelled rotting wood, where wallpaper was peeling from walls. It had once been a grand house, now it was falling into ruin.
I moved silently, cautiously, keeping all my senses alert. At last I found myself crouching behind a door that was ajar. It led into one of the grand rooms of the old mansion, and I could hear a conversation inside.
"Toxic!" Diana exclaimed.
I was right!
"Yes," a woman's voice purred. "Toxic. You're very clever, Diana Dickson, but not clever enough."
I recognised the voice! It was Coral Williams!
Coral Williams was Toxic! Suddenly everything made sense!

No comments: