Saturday, August 25, 2007

Evolve or Die! 22.


Professor Coral Williams, Richard Dawkins fan and evolution-nut was Toxic, the mysterious killer of drug-users. Everything suddenly made a very nasty sort of sense. Coral was an evolution nut. I suddenly remembered something she'd said,
"We have practically destroyed evolutionary pressure. For centuries, intead of allowing the weak and the unfit to die, we have preserved their lives. Thankfully now modern reproductive science has allowed us to practically eliminate certain unfitnesses such as Down's Syndrome and the cleft pallette, but still some families choose to have children with genetic disorders born, and they keep those children alive! It is an offence..."

Coral wanted to give evolution a helping hand, engage in her own eugenics programme by killing off those she thought of as 'unfit', beginning with drug-users.
"Coral, you can't..."
"I have to, Diana. You don't understand. You're too compassionate. These people have to die, for the good of the human race. Think of it, these drug-users, addicts, abusing their own bodies, passing on mutations they've induced in their own bodies to their children. If we elimiate all of them, then humanity will be so much better-off."
"They're human beings!"
"And what are human beings? Simply highly-evolved apes! Don't you see, Diana, if these people die, if evolutionary pressure is scientifically applied by a catalyst such as me, the race will begin evolving again. Imagine it! I'm helping mankind!"
"You're murdering thousands of people!"
"I'm eliminating genetically unfit material! I'm doing good! But you're too blind to see it! Or are you like that silly friend of yours, Jame Hill! She doesn't even believe in evolution! She's so decieved by her religion. But I know the truth. There is no God up there, watching over us. We have to control our own destiny, move forward to higher things. We shall see the triumph of evolution! I shall help to bring it about! I am the servant of nature, the catalyst of the development of humanity!"
She was completely insane, I realised. That made her incredibly dangerous. She believed that she was working for the good of humanity. She wasn't the sort of criminal I was used to (even though some of the people I've dealt with before have been insane). She thought she was working for good. In her eyes those who tried to care for the sick were the criminals. She was the hero, bringing her own brand of social Darwinism to London.
And I had to stop her. It was not a nice thought.

No comments: