Thursday, May 17, 2007

Evolve or Die! 2.


The girl was very obviously dead. Though I'm popularly supposed to be a rather sheltered rich girl, you readers know better. From the state of the girl's bare forearms I could see she'd been mainlining some sort of drug. But her symptoms, blood flowing freely from her mouth, high body temperature, eyes that were rapidly beoming red orbs as blood vessels inside them burst, they weren't typical of any sort of overdose I'd ever seen.
"I'm gonna throw up," Scruff declared queasily. I let her go.
I saw skilled scientists staring at the dead girl and I worried. If they weren't sure what had killed her, there was no way I could find out.
"Jane!" Dinana looked in horror at the corpse. Blood was starting to well from every pore.
"I think I'm going to join my sister," I said, feeling rather unwell myself.
Scruff was in the ladies being very sick,
"Room for one more?" I asked. She didn't reply.
When both of us had finished throwing up, we sat down in one of the rooms of the museum to recover and wait for the police.
"That's the most horrible way I ever saw someone die," Scruff declared. I nodded.
"Me too. It got worse after you left."
"DON'T tell me the details," she warned. To be fair we weren't the only ones to be sick after seeing what happened to the dead girl. At least ten others, seven of them men, had to use the bathroom in the same way.
"I don't want to. But that wasn't an overdose."
"You're right," a tall grey-haired man sat down with us. "Morgan Steele, New Scotland Yard. I'm a forensic scientist, and I've never seen a case like it. It looks like her entire vascular system just fell apart."
"I need to use the bathroom again, " Scruff left us.
"It sounds awful," I said. "All I saw was someone stagger in and collapse. I ran to help, but she was already dead when I reached her."
"The effects seem to have started inside - that's why blood came from her mouth before it came from her skin. You're Jane Hill, the owner of Hill Industries?"
"Exactly. I was invited here by Diana Dickson - we were at university together. What do you think caused those symptoms?"
"I have no idea. Hopefully the autopsy will help."
I hoped so too - Scruff could get the results of that from the Scotland Yard database.

No comments: