Monday, May 14, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! Epilogue.


We returned to Barton and the house. He smiled as we arrived.
"The Girl in Grey and her brave sidekick. Tell me, is there any reason you wear that Robin costume?"
"I wore it to a fancy-dress party once and liked it," Scruff replied.
"Galliard's gone," I said. "Over a cliff. There's no way he could have survived."
"It was horrible," Barton agreed. "He'd lost his mind. As you said, he let his hatred for me destroy him. I never hated him. I tried to encourage him. I wanted to help him make a success of his film."
"You can make a success of that film for yourself," I told him. "Now Galliard's gone someone else will buy the studios and the rights to the character..."
"Someone like you?" he smiled. "I wish we could have done something for Galliard. The poor man didn't deserve this."
"Yet he brought it upon himself," I pointed out. "Have you called the police?"
"No. I watch enough of the news to know that the police aren't very keen on you."
"I know. Funny, isn't it? I'm their ally, but they won't admit it."
"Well, you came to the right man for sympathy. I take it you are Miss Jane, as the girl in the Robin costume is undoubtedly Scruff. Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."
"Thanks. We have to get back to town. Call the police..."
We left Barton. The police arrived and began to search for Galliard. They found his broken body later. He had died on impact.

With Galliard dead, it was relatively easy for me to buy the character of The Adventurer from his bankrupted company. I gave the rights back to Barton, who was very grateful for them. After all, it's not every day a mysterious multi-millionairess does something like that for a writer.
The new 'Adventurer' novel almost wrote itself after what we'd been through. And Barton found those two characters he'd been looking for to help Richard Coventry in his quest for the man who killed Lana. The first of them was a scruffy teenaged girl who was a whizz with computers, the second a mysterious girl adventurer who donned a grey cat-costume to fight crime. The first character was called Scruff, of course, the second just went by the name of the Grey Kitten.
Well, I'm still persona non grata to the authorities in London, so he couldn't call her the Girl in Grey.

The novel sold like hot cakes on a cold day, and guess what - I'm backing the movie version!

THE END
of 'Revenge of the Adventurer'

But the Girl in Grey will return
In the startling mystery entitled:
'Evolve or Die!'

No comments: