Friday, May 25, 2007

Evolve or Die! 6.

The Outsider and I faced three armed police officers. The potential for misunderstanding was huge. After all, I'd broken into one their labs and stolen a blood sample, and I'm not exactly popular with the Met. If only it had been a City Police lab...
"Would you accept it if I said I got lost?" I asked.
"Let me handle it."

With a swirl of black smoke, the Outsider became visible, crossbow in hand, eyes blazing red. The police officers stared in horror at her. stange form
"The... The Outsider!"
"The Outsider," sheaffirmed. "I'm just investigating a terrible murder. The Girl in Grey is my friend!"
Her red eyes blazed up at the police officers, dangerous, challenging them to confront her.
No-one did. Emily's scary like that. I bolted, leaving her to hold off the police.
She rejoined me in the car minutes later.
"Thanks, Black and Smoky," I smiled at her. I suppose she smiled back, but you never can tell that with Emily.
We sped back across town to see my friend in her expensive penthouse. She's not much richer than I am really, but I like my home more homely. And people in expensive blocks might ask questions if they saw someone like Emily wandering around. In my block there are enough really weird people for her to be connected with THEM rather than with me.
Or that's my idea, anyhow!
Emily remained invisible as we rode up in the lift. I rang the bell and the door opened.
My friend stood there dressed in robe and dark glasses.
"The Girl in Grey!" she laughed. "Alone?"
"No." Emily became visible again in a swirl of smoke.
"Hey! That's neat! How did you do that?"
"Magic," Emily explained.
"It must be! I couldn't see you at all! Even Dr. Reflecto couldn't hide from my eyes. Alice James, also known as the Sparrow. Usually I fight the more interaional and weird criminals."
"Like Dr. Reflecto?" Emily asked.
"I know. Jerk name. But he picked it. Maybe all the good ones were taken. Did you get the sample?"
"I did. It isn't one of your villains, is it?"
"No. All the poisonous ones are out of London. The one I'm chasing right now uses electricity."
"then here it is."
We went inside to examine the sample.

No comments: