Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Evolve or Die! 5.

As the light faded over London, I changed into my Girl in Grey costume. There was something evil menacing my city, and I determined to stop it as soon as possible. We had so little to work on, four dead drug addicts (and yes, it IS possible to become addicted to cannabis psychologically, like it's posible to become addicted to shopping), dead in the most horrible manner.
I had one goal in mind, find a sample of the poison and take it to a friend to be analysed. That meant getting into a police forensics lab. Scruff had found me the right one, but that was just the start. Now I had to get in there and get out with the sample. Although cruff could shut down the security systems for me, I'd still have to contend with dogs (the noisy sort) and foot patrols. Emily would have my back, invisible and heavily armed.
I was still VERY nervous. The police probably thought there was a terrorist motive. I didn't know what to think. It seemed odd, though, most terrorists sell drugs to finance their crimes. If they killed off drug users, they'd reduce their own income. Were they that stupid, or was it somethig else? I liked my idea of a super-scientific serial killer. But I would - it was my idea, after all!












The Grey Car, sleek high-tech vehicle, carried us quickly across London to the police lab. I parked a little way from the lab and activated the car's high-voltage security system once we were out.
"We're here," I radioed Scruff.
"Great! I'll shut down the perimeter in your area."
We hurried to the security fence. As promised, everything was shut down. Emily dissolved into smoke and passed through the wire easily. I had to climb it.
"I'm shutting down a pathway for you," Scruff's voice said in my earpiece. "Follow the path on your GPS."
In days goneby crime-fighters got by without all this junk. But then, they didn't have to contend with high-tech security in police labs. Still, high-tech security's so much easier to get around than foot patrols - and much more forgiving.
With Emily watching my back, I moved quickly through the safe corridor Scruff had made for me, to the lab itself, where the blood samples were stored. My friend needed just a small sample - but she still needed one.
The door unlocked in frot of me and I entered the lab. the sample was easy to find and to put in storage on my belt.
"Let's go!" I said.
We ran from the lab - only to find ourselves face-to-face with three armed police officers!

No comments: