Monday, June 11, 2007

Evolve or Die! 11.


"How was the Natural history Museum?" a rather bored-looking Emily asked as we entered the flat on our return.
"Full of weird people," Scruff replied. "We spoke with a lady who believed that human evolution had stopped and that was a bad thing."
"Weird people," Emily agreed. "You think I could scare them by turning up sometime and being black and smoky?"
"Yeah," Scruff grinned and went into the kitchen to fix herself something to eat."
"Right now we have more serious things to do," I said, going into my bedroom to change. Emily followed me. "That poison's being administered to drug addicts, and that means a drug dealer's involved. And not just a small street-level dealer, I mean one of the big boys, someone with plenty of little rats working under him. It means he could poison thousands of people, but there is one good thing about it - it'll make him easier to find. At least it will for the Girl in Grey." I took my costume out of my wardrobe. and held it up.
"I'll get some more crossbow bolts," Emily left me, and I smiled. It was good to see her so enthusiastic. She'd been fairly sulky in the morning, and I have NO idea how to handle a sulky teenage Outsider.
"Sis?" Scruff entered. I smiled at her.
"Hi. Has Alice found anything useful yet?"
"No," she replied. "Look, there's not a lot I can do here, and nothing I could do here that Alice isn't better at..."
"Then grab the Robin costume - or whatever costume you want to grab - and come on. We could do with your help on the streets."
"You mean it?"
"Of course! You're as useful at my side in a fight as you are with that laptop of yours - and I mean that."
"Great! I'll dress!"
"And get a list of the drug-dealers we know who operated in the areas the dead people lived in."
"Okay!" Scruff ran from the room. I smiled.
Alice may have her computer-brain, but I have my team, and sometimes a team is far better than one person -however good that person is.

No comments: