Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Evolve or Die! 12.


The Grey Car's useful, but sometimes nothing beats running across the rooftops with the wind in your cowl. Emily's superhuman strength allowed her to keep up with me and Scruff (we're taller than her, you may have noticed). Part of me said this was silly. I was trying to fight crime in London with the help of my sixteen-year-old sister (dressed as Robin of Batman and...) and a thirteen-year-old girl who looks like a cloud of black smoke with glowing red eyes. It's not the sort of hobby you can talk about at parties, is it?
The rest of me was just loving it. The night, my city under threat. What was there not to enjoy?
I leaped from a rooftop and swung my whip. It caught, and I swung.
I landed in front of a seedy-looking man who gasped in horror at me appearance.
"Hello, Mick, long time no see," I said with a smile.
"The girl in Grey! You..."
"Oh, that's right, I got you sent to jail. Mick, you're out, and you're selling drugs. Now, there are drug-users dying in this city, and I need to know why."
"I don't..."
"I know. You use drugs yourself, and you sell to other users to get the money to support your own habit. Just think, YOU might have..."
Mick yelled in pain and clapped his hand to his cheek. It came away with a tiny blow-dart in it. I knew at once what had happened.
"Outsider! Robin! The killer's here!"
Mick gasped in pain. I wanted to help, to do something, but I had no idea what to do. No antidote, no way even to stop the poison's effects.
"Mick!" I cried. The drug-dealer gasped.
"I... I'm gonna die!"
"Yes, you're going to die. I'm sorry. But it proves the link. Who's your supplier!"
"'Spiv' Barrick!" Mick coughed up blood. "Oh my... I'm burning up!"
"I'm sorry! But you'll help us stop the killer. I swear I'll stop him!"
There was nothing I could do to save Mick's life, so I didn't even try. He'd been a good boy once, corrupted by a gang culture, hooked on drugs - and now this.
Whoever was behind this was going to pay!

No comments: