Monday, June 18, 2007

Evolve or Die! 13.


I ran from where Mick was fast dying. Not that I'm callous, but there was no way I could keep him alive. I had to stop his killer. But how? The dart had been fired either from a blow-gun or, more likely, some sort of air-gun device. If the killer had used telescopic sights and a high-powered airgun, he might have been on a rooftop, far enough from the scene to have made good his escape before either Emily or Scruff could have reached him.
I rejoined them on a rooftop. They had found nothing.
"I got the name of his supplier," I told them. "It's 'Spiv' Barrick."
"West End mobster," Scruff supplied the information. "But he makes millions from drugs. Why would he poison his customers?"
"I have no idea," I confessed. "I just hope the mystery resolves itself as we follow the trail."
"Me too," Scruff agreed. "It's starting to give me a headache."
That's serious. Scruff's a genius, despite her appearance and normal behaviour, if something gives her a headache, then it's difficult.
We made our way to Barrick's penthouse headquaters at the top of a modern West End block. It was an impressive place - but I'm not easily impressed. Mind you, it was also pretty easy for the three of us to get onto the roof. Looked good, lousy security (as an American friend of mine says).
The drawing-room, with its ultra-modern glass roof, was easy to find, and it was easy for an invisible Emily to creep onto the roof and listen.
I could see from my place in the shadows that Barrick was there. He was speaking on the telephone, and one of my gadgets allowed me to hear every word.
"...Killed a dealer?" he was angry.
"What do you mean the Girl in Grey was trying to pump him for information? So you used that poison on him? Why did you kill the others?"
What I'd have given to hear the other side of the conversation!
"So they knew more than was good for them? Okay. How did they know?"
He was angry. That meant his partnership with the unknow wasn't an equal one. It was still dangerous!
Then I felt a revolver being pressed to the back of my head.
Maybe the security wasn't so bad after all.

No comments: