Friday, January 26, 2007

Priory of Death: 15


I ran out, into the night, pulling my small but powerful torch from my belt as I did so. I'd only heard one scream, and in my book that's very bad, as it often means the screamer's been mudered. The romantic ruins of the garden now impeded my progress. There was no way I could see further than a few feet in front of me.
Suddenly I heard something move. I whirled around. I just saw the black-robed figure hurry away.
"Hey! Stop!" I called. But it was no good. Within seconds I'd lost him in the ruins, a frustrating experience to say the least.
So the 'monk' was walking. The only question was, had the scream been caused by a sight of the monk, or by something else?
"What was it?" Scruff joined me, concern in her blue eyes.
"The monk from last night. He was moving fast. I'd say he was runnig away from something."
"These ruins get in the way," Scruff observed. "Do you think they were meant to do that?"
"No, but I'd love to have the Green Man here on a moonlit night..."
"Lynette says he's not your boyfriend..."
"Lynette can say what she likes," I replied. "Look, we're looking for someone who's probably a killer, not discussing my romantic life."
"Are we?" Scruff can be very annoying sometimes.
"Yes! And for whoever screamed."
"Gosh! We are!" Scruff's a good girl, if sometimes very annoying.
"Did I miss something?"
I was pleased to see the Outsider. Her red eyes glowed fiercely in the night, and I knew she had her crossbow held ready to kill anyone who might need killing.
"The Monk again. Come on, we need to find the person she screamed. We'd better split up."
I don't do that when there's the possibility of someone trying to kill one of us, but it seemed safe enough right now. So we split up, the Outsider moving suspiciously, crossbow held ready, Scruff a little wary, me cat-like and graceful.
"Here!" Scruff called after a few minutes. I could hear the worry in her voice. Emily and I ran over to join her. She was looking down at a crumpled figure on the gound. No, TWO crumple figures
Hamilton's body was something I expected to find at some point. The police weren't going to believe the story about the devil, and I would have taken the Priory apart with my gloved hands (not wanting to ruin my nails) if I hadn't found the corpse. The killer would have realised that and I was sure the 'monk' had been moving the body from the tunnels. I had expected that. But there was something else I had not been expecing to find - the person who had screamed.
It was Connie. And she was dead, her head smashed in.

No comments: