Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Priory of Death: 7

I jumped out of bed, grabbed a small torch and, still dressed in only my nice cosy pyjamas (essential in a draughty Scottish mansion in winter), tip-toed to the door of the room. Looking out I saw no-one, but then I heard a board on the stairs creak.
I followed whoever it was down the stairs, being careful to keep out of sight. You might think I didn't trust my fellow guests, and you'd be right, I didn't trust them. I know too many of them to do that. Amelia used to pull my hair at at school, and Connie may look quiet, but she loved to cause mayhem at school.
I moved silently down the stairs. I don't have to be in costume to move like a cat (Scruff adds, 'or act like one', which isn't fair). My natural grace and athleticism allowed me to move without anyone noticing.
I dropped from the half-landing to the hall and followed the night wanderer through the dining-room, into the kitchen. Stepping inside the kitchen I saw a sinister dark shape and...
"Scruff!"
"Sis!"

I have to admit Scruff looked comical. She was in her pyjamas, right forearm bandaged, a napkin in her right hand, a cold chicken drumstick guiltily on a plate beside her. But it was the dark figure beside her, whose glowing red eyes were unmistakable in the dark kitchen, that really worried me.
"Scruff! You brought Emily along?"
"She insisted!"
"I didn't threaten you!" Emily replied. She sounded pretty funny too. I guess it was the contrast between her scary appearance and her voice.
"You smuggled Emily up to Scotland? I sat down on the floor with them. "Scruff, you're impossible. That's why I love you," I hugged her.
"I didn't have any dinner," Emily explained, "so I'm raiding the fridge."
"And what's your excuse?" I asked Scruff.
"I got hungry."
"Me too," I took a piece of cold chicken and started eating it. "So, what do you two make of the guests?"
The pair exchanged glances. I laughed.
"If you're worried I'll be mad at you, don't be, I'm not very keen on them either."
"I keep wanting to shoot the dumb redhead," Emily confessed.
"They're all sort of dumb, aren't they?" Scruff said.
"They are. I suppose it's because I did something with my life and they didn't. What about the others?"
"I don't know," Emily pondered. "There's something doesn't add up. You're not cross with me because I stowed away? I wanted to see Scotland..."
"I'll go home via Kirkaldy," I promised her. That cheered the Outsider up, then she hugged me. Scruff hugged me too. I'm glad they're both smaller than me.
Suddenly I heard a door creak open. Emily vanished and Scruff and me hurried to the door. Scruff raiding a fridge would be acceptable, I'm not sure Victoria would let me forget it if I was found doing the same.
Cautiously, I looked around the doorframe.
I saw a tall figure in a long black habit moving eerily across the dining-room.

No comments: