Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Priory of Death: 2


Scruff and I spent Friday frantically packing so we'd be ready to get off to Scotland. Christmas and New Year have always been far too hectic for me. They're too close together.
Of course, Scruff's clothes all look pretty much alike, but she still insisted on packing a whole load of them. I'm a little bit more concerned with how I look (but who isn't?Okay, Scruff isn't), and I had to pack some party frocks, not to mention my Girl in Grey outfit in a hidden compartment in my case, just in case something should happen.
"Golf clubs?" Scruff asked me as I tried to get my suitcase closed.
"Scruff, Victoria's useless at golf!"
"So you can play with her."
I gave Scruff a mean look and she ran off, laughing.
"Do you want me to help?" Emily wandered in, looking black and smoky. I feel kind of sorry for her, looking like that all the time. It's kind of limiting on her. She can't make any friends her own age, she tried once and the group of girls ran away.
"I can't get my case closed."
"Okay," Emily closed the case easily and laughed. I hugged her.
"Thanks, Emily. I hope we can find some way to change you back."
"I'm getting used to being like this," she flopped on my bed and a small dagger fell onto the floor. I've always been rather sketchy about just how many weapons Emily carries, but I count a sword, a crossbow and a few daggers. You don't want to get on the wrong side of her, she's got quite a temper. I wonder if she was originally a redhead?
"Yes, but you're a girl. You need friends your own age, not just me and Scruff."
"I like Scruff."
"Meow!"
I picked up Samantha and stroked her.
"Sorry, Samantha, Victoria's allergic to cats."
"I'd love to come," Emily said. "I've never been to Scotland, but my parents were Scottish."
"From where?"
"From Kirkaldy."
"Emily from Kirkaldy! I'll take you there some day! But you won't like it, you'd have to hide yourself."
"Oh well," Emily got up, picked up her dagger and disappeared. "I'll go over to Lynette's place."
She went, completely invisible. I went on packing.
Maybe I'd have been more concerned if I'd known Emily and Scruff had been planning to stow Emily away in my car.

No comments: