Sunday, December 17, 2006

The School for Scruff: 14.


Sir Richard changed his clothes pretty quickly for a man of his age. His loss, I changed my clothes at about normal speed for a girl my age and kept him waiting for ten minutes.
"I don't feel right," I confided to him as we descended the stairs.
"As I told your grandmother once, lass, it's because that outfit's not meant to be worn in the cold light of day. Or even the warm light of day. It's meant to be worn at night. Still, you'll feel better once you're down in the secret tunnel. I'm told it's usually dark down there."
We passed Sam and Emily, who were both drinking milkshakes now. Sir Richard unlocked the cellar door. Then he unbarred it and turned off the security devices.
"I value my beer," he explained. "Anyone attempting to steal it will find that my beer cannot be stolen."
"Okay," I said with a smile. Good old Sir Richard! He knows a thing or two about beer. In fact he's a world expert, and knows everything there is to know about pubs.
We descended into the dark brick-vaulted cellars of Little Pudding manor. I felt a lot more comfortable in my Girl in Grey costume there.

"You said my grandmother..."
"Yes. Dear Emma, such a great friend. You must come for Christmas, you know, I've invited her."
"Oh! My maternal grandmother!"
"But of course. She lives in New York, when I was a movie magnate I had an office there, and we often met. Usually when I was burgling people, or when there were Ninjas out to kill me. She's pretty good at dealing with Ninjas. Scruff takes after her, you know. But anyhow, we were looking for a secret tunnel."
He opened the front of what looked like a large barrel of wine and we stepped inside.
"I have two others. One goes to the church, the other comes up in the pub's beer cellars. That one has very heavy security indeed. But this is the one I've never explored. Well, there's always a first time." he gave me a hand up. For a man his age he's very sprightly. Maybe it's all that fighting Ninjas.
"Ah, the good old days, when I was young and Nazi-bashing was an Olympic sport. I remember once when I flew into Pudding Norton airfield in a Junkers stuffed with Nazi officers. What great days they were! First time I saw this house. Now, the first time I saw your grandmother I was beseiged in the club in New York by a whole load of Ninjas. Most unsporting it was too. One of them threw her out of a window. She's small, like you and Scruff. And the bloke was big. Like a grand piano..."
Still reminiscing about my grandmother, Sir Richard, holding a powerful torch, led me down the passage that led towards the Grange. I like Sir Richard, and he obviously admired my grandmother (who by the way was about Scruff's age when she first met Sir Richard in 1954).
"Ah, what happy days they were. And she was already in love with your grandfather, so Sam couldn't suspect her of being in love with me. That didn't stop her, of course..."
There was about six inches of water in the bottom of the tunnel. We moved slowly forward, scaring rats as we went.
Suddenly I heard something shift. There was a rumble, and I saw the ceiling bulge, then give way!
Desperately, we dived for cover.

No comments: