Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The School for Scruff: 17.


"Ow!" I cried as the door opened.
"Well! An Intruder!"
It was the Baron himself, and he carried a Luger that was pointed right at me. I haven't had many guns pointed at me, and I still don't enjoy the experience. At all.
"Keep your hands where I can see them," he ordered. I wasn't going to do anything else, that gun looked nasty. Very nasty.
"Matron!" the Baron called.
Matron entered. She smiled wickedly as she saw me. I knew she had it in for me.
"Scruff. So, I was right, you are a spy!" Matron laughed. "And now you are caught. Caught like a rat in a trap."
I had no clever answer. I'd been caught red-handed.
"Stay right where you are," the Baron said. I nodded.
"Okay."
"You're clever, Scruff, but not clever enough. Who sent you, and why?"
"I'm not going to tell you," I answered.
"Your sister, of course. And who is she working for?"
"I don't know!" I protested, hoping that he'd believe me.
"Take her away!"
Three prefects stormed into the room and dragged me out. I was taken away, struggling, and thrown into a cell.
I lay for a while on the cell's cement floor, contemplating my future, which might be very short and was likely to be very nasty either way. Either the Baron would believe that I didn't know who Sis was working for, or he wouldn't. If he believed me, I might meet with an 'accident', and end up dead. If he didn't believe me I might be tortured until I told him what he wanted to know. Both possibilities sounded kind of depressing.
I can sleep anywhere, and even the cement floor of the cell didn't keep me awake. I drifted off to sleep.
"Scruff!"
I was woken by someone pouring a bucketful of icy water over me. " sat up with a yell of shock and saw Matron standing over me.
"Spy, the Baron will see you now. You will tell him everything, or you will suffer the consequences!"
Two prefects frog-marched me from the cell to Baron Von Zstrongarm's office in the Grange. The Baron was pacing the floor.
"Scruff, I do not know whether to be disappointed in you or proud of you."
"Sir?"
"You opened both my safes. That indicates a great deal of skill. Last night I was angry, today I am merely interested. You are Lilian Hill, daughter of the muti-millionaire James Hill, on your mother's side the grandaughter of billionaire Jonathan Philpot?"
"I am," I nodded.
"Remarkable! And yet your own inheritance was stolen by your step-mother before her mysterious death. Yes, very remarkable. Of course, you killed her."
He thought I was like him! I could use that.
"Yes."
"Well! Then I apologise for putting you in group 'D'. Of course we could only look at your academic record. Haupt!"
The brutal head of the Lower Sixth strode in and saluted.
"Headmaster!"
"Scruff here opened both my safes within the space of ten minutes last night. I think that her talent needs to be cultivated. Take her back to class!"
I'd escaped. But I knew I would be watched closely from now on.

No comments: