Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The School for Scruff: 18.

[Just a quick new post before New Year]

I was allowed to change my clothes and returned to class almost as if nothing had happened. But something had. In place of the old 'metalwork' I'd been assigned to a class called 'cracksmanship', in which we were being taught how to be expert burglars.
My kind of subject, really. I paid particular attention, knowing Sis would want me to. She's really very nice to me. Most of the time, anyhow. She hardly ever asks me to tidy up.
"What happened to you?" Karen asked me at break. "You weren't in the dorm, you weren't in assembly, and you weren't in metalwork."
"Baron Von Zstrongarm caught me opening his safe," I replied.
"No!"
"Yes. So instead of metalwork I'm learning how to be a better burglar."
"You lucky thing! I still have to slave away in that awful workshop!"
"What happens about laundy?" I asked her. "I've got about half a dozen outfits that neec cleaning. This place is kind of hard on my clothes."
"Oh, you'll have to do it yourself tomorrow night. And I mean do it yourself, there's no washing machine."
I'd been afraid of that.
"But I don't know how to hand wash!"
Sis says I don't know how to use the washing machine either, but I wasn't talking about washing machines.
"I'll show you how!"
Funny, I didn't really want her to. But I wanted clean clothes too. Sis says that's just like me, expecting other people to do everything. I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

Our next class was maths. I was no good at all at it, but this time I managed to keep from losing my temper.
I couldn't help glancing out of the window at the Grange. After all, maybe I would succeed in getting the timetable next time. If Emily hadn't used my distraction to get it herself, which she might have done. Emily can be annoying like that. Not that I don't like her, but she can still be annoying.

No comments: