Friday, April 06, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! 10.


We found Emily had fed the cats (she's a good little Outsider), and had supper ready for us when we got back.
"How was it?" she asked.
"Barton's very nice, Walker's nice, but a little bit crazy," I answered. "He's very protective of his role. That means that if he's the killer he's most likely to kill Jackson Hughes first. You'll have to watch his hotel room tonight."
"I can do that," Emily affirmed. "And you two?"
"Since we don't know for sure that Hughes is the killer, I'll watch Galliard and Scruff's going to watch Alice Slate," I replied.
"So we get the Robin Scruff costume again?" Emily said cheekily. "Why don't you replace the 'R' on your suit with an 'S'?"
"I don't want to give myself away," Scruff replied."
"Good answer," I told her.

We got ready as quickly as we could after supper. Since Emily didn't have the change her clothes, she was ready before the rest of us. We found her on the sofa waiting for us once we were ready, our street clothes on over our costumes. In my secret base we discarded our street clothes, and we were in costume and masked when the powerful grey car roarded away out of the concealed garage. There was no way the cameras would be able to identify us. What was more, we'd be operating within the congestion charge zone, so I didn't have to worry about those cameras either.
Galliard's home was an expensive modern apartment within an old warehouse in Docklands. Hughes was staying at the Dorchester, and Alice Slate was at the Excel Hotel in Docklands.

We dropped Emily off at the Dorchester first. She vanished, and I presume she went inside. It's a handy trick, being able to turn invisible.
"I hope it's not Barton," Scruff said. I agreed.
"Yes, I hope it isn't him. I'd like t buy his character back for him."
"And if Galliard dies, does that prove it IS Barton?"
"No. But I still won't let anyone murder Galliard. For one thing, I'd like to teach him a lesson. I've got a few ideas."
I'm full of ideas, in fact. I wanted to buy back the character of the Adventurer for Barton and finance his next book. I'm a philantropist of sorts, I suppose. Just one who likes to dress up in a tight grey outfit and beat up criminals.
Which is one of my few points of resemblance to Batman.
We headed towards Docklands, where we were going to do our monitoring.
It was goig to be quite a night!

No comments: