Monday, April 30, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! 23.

"Galliard!" Miss Farrow exclaimed in disbelief. I didn't blame her. Until all the pieces fitted together, I'd never have believed that Galliard was behind this. He'd recieved death-threats, after all. But death-threats can be faked, especially by a man who makes movies, a man who's used to manufacturing believable fiction!
"Of course! It all makes sense. Scruff, you've read the script. What did you think of it?"
"It sucked. It's horrid."
"And how likely is a script like that to bomb at the box office?"
"I'd say about one hundred per cent."
"Exactly. Now Galliard's not a fool. He's made successful films. So why is this one so bad?"
"Because he hates John and everything John stands for as represented by 'The Adventurer'," Molly Farrow replied to my question. She was beginning to see the light.
"Exactly! But at the same time he knows it's going to be a bad film. If he were to actually release a turkey like that it would affect his reputation as a film-maker. But if production were broken up by a series of murders, it wouldn't be his fault."
"The police are investigating," Miss Farrow objected.
"Exactly. But as Mr. Barton said, Galliard used to write crime fiction. He's been planning this very carefully. First he engineered that argument between Stock and Barton, making sure they'd be witnesses. Then he had Stock murdered. He engineered those death-threats and arranged for them to be sent to him. We already know that the killers were hired through an East End gangster..."
"You ARE an amateur sleuth," Miss Farrow said admiringly.
"Thanks. I'm a very careful investor. Well, last night Galliard must have arranged for his two leads to be killed..."
"What about the barge?" Scruff asked.
"I'm not sure," I replied. "But I know it fits in somewhere." Actually I did know. Galliard must have seen me and called a man in to deal with me. The other two had been reporting back to him that they'd failed. And with the stars still alive, Galliard had no excuse to shut down the film.
"Fortunately for them, the Girl in Gey had realised they were in danger and her friends stopped the killers. I bet she thought Galliard was threatened too, and that's why she was attacked on his barge. Miss Farrow, did you say that Barton's seeing Galliard tonight?"
"Yes," she nodded. "John's visiting him at his Surrey estate..."
"Where I bet Galliard's got a murder and a frame-up ready! Sorry, Miss Farrow, we have to go."
"Yes," she agreed, plainly agitated. "Go! Go and save John from that awful man!"
We ran from the house. Emily sat up as we jumped into the car.
"What is it?" she asked.
"Sis worked out Galliard's the killer," Scruff explained.
"Galliard!"
"Yes, he's insane, mad with Jealousy and hatred towards John Barton. He wanted to destroy Barton, and tonight he and Barton are meeting at Galliard's country estate in Surrey." I started the car. "Come on! We have to get back to London, change, and speed out again the the Grey car. Galliard has to be caught red-handed!"
I drove off at speed. I had to prevent a murder! I hoped that I wouldn't be too late.

No comments: