Thursday, April 26, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! 21.


"Mogul sword-torture?" I asked Emily as we decended the fire-escape again. "I didn't know you'd been trained in torture techniques."
"Confidentially, I haven't. But he didn't know that."
I laughed.
"Emily, you're amazing!"
"Thanks. You're pretty good yourself. He was one of the men who tried to kill you last night, wasn't he?"
"Confidentially, yes. So, where to now? Mark Conant?"
"No," Emily shook her black smoky head. "Holding's bound to warn him. We go for our original target, Miss Molly Farrow. We might as well, after all."
We rejoined Scruff in the car. She was on some newsgroup posting rude remarks about 'The Adventurer' being a lousy script
Unless John Barton gets on this project and supplies a totally new script, this film's going to be awful. So long as Galliard's name appears on it and Barton's doesn't, stay well away.

"Are you sabotaging the film?" I asked her sweetly as I put my trouser-suit on over my Girl in Grey outfit.
"Of course. What else would I do, Sis?"
"Nothing. Do you really think that Galliard can't make this a good film?"
"It's too personal, Sis. He hates Barton, and he's set out to destroy Barton's 'Adventurer'. That means it can't ever be a good film."
"Sis, you're so right," I told her, ruffling her untidy black hair. Emily jumped in the back of the car.
"Molly Farrow's it is," I declared.
Molly Farrow lived in Essex, so in Bethnal Green we were headed in the right direction. It was a good drive, and we got there in plenty of time.
She lived in a 1920s house in the Essex countryside, a nice sort of imitation Tudor place that looked just like the real thing provided you'd never actually SEEN the real thing.
I parked outside, and this time we left Emily in the car (she might have scared Miss Farrow) and Scruff and I walked to the door. I rang the bell and waited.
The door was opened by a woman in her sixties. I recognised Molly Farrow at once. The youthful beauty of her TV years had matured, and she wasn't ashamed of her age.
"Miss Farrow?" I asked, just to be on the safe side. She laughed.
"Yes. You must be fans!"
"Jane and Scruff Hill," I said. "You can probably guess which is which."
"I think I can. So, how can I help you?"
"It's about the recent crimes committed in connection with the new film 'The Adventurer," I said. Miss Farrow's face darkened.
"Don't talk to me about that awful film. I was Lana Coll, now that Galliard man wants to destroy my character. I read it on the internet."
"I posted it," Scruff confessed.
"You did?" Miss Farrow laughed. "You little saboteur! Come on in!"
Scruff can be REALLY useful sometimes.

No comments: