Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! 19.


Once again I was glad I hadn't just given Galliard the brush-off when I'd found out how bad his film was (or when Scruff decided to sabotage it online by posting large chunks of the worst bits of the script. As Jane Hill, fantastically wealthy potential backer of the film, I could practically come and go as I pleased at the studio. And right now I wanted to come.
Scruff was with me, of course. She really is my secretary, even though she looks nothing like one. Scruff doesn't pretend to be what she isn't, and that means that she can be a little odd as a secretary (okay, VERY odd). Still, she's great, and she does a lot more than anyone who wasn't my sister would be allowed to do (like helping me as the Girl in Grey). Emily came too, though she faded from sight as we approached the studio entrance. I smiled sweetly at the guard, and he let us in. After I'd parked the car Emily went off to snoop around while Scruff and I went to see Galliard. He had added four huge minders to his staff, but otherwise seemed to be fit, healthy and not very pleasant.
"Miss Hill!" he greeted me with a smile.
"Mr. Galliard! I saw the news!"
"Yes. Of course they messed it all up. The Girl in Grey was trying to protect me, not to kill me. She got thrown in the dock for her pains, and I hope she survived."

It was nice to know someone cared.
"Three attacks, on yourself and your two stars," I said. "That means someone IS trying to destroy this film."
"But who'd do something as violent as trying to kill people to wreck THIS film?" Scruff asked. I shot her a warning look, knowing EXACTLY what she meant.
"I don't know. Neither do the police, and they're trying to get the Girl in Grey, which is a false direction," Galliard shook his head. "But I assure you, Miss Hill, the film will be going ahead. I will not bow to intimidation."
"Any ideas?" Scruff asked.
"Miss..."
"Just call me Scruff, everyone else does."
"Scruff, it's not for me to speculate."
"Okay," Scruff smiled. "You don't think Barton might be involved?"
"He hasn't the money to hire men," Galliard answered. "But then again, he DID threaten me..."
"How would he have known your address and the two hotels your stars were in?" I asked.
"I don't know..."
"I can't commit to invest in a film that might not go ahead," I told Galliard. "I want to, but I'm sure you understand my situation."
Galliard nodded.
"I think I do, Miss Hill. Well, good day. As you can imagne I'm very busy right now."
I let him be busy. We returned to the car to find Emily already there (Scruff accidentally sat on her).
"Ow!" Emily protested.
"Sorry." Scruff got off her.
"What did you find?"
"Our man's address. I have a few questions to ask him. And a sword to back them up with if he doesn't co-operate. Bethnal Green, and step on it."

No comments: