Friday, April 13, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! 13.


Hello, it's The Outsider here. As you remember, I was set to guard Mr. Jackson Hughes, the man Galliard hired as the lead in his sorry film. Hughes was staying at the Dorchester, which is a really expensive place - the sort of place the twelve-year-old daughter of missionaries would never stay in a million years. It's not like missionaries in India get paid much, after all.
But then, after Ramdit Ghul murdered my parents, I lived in his palace, which is almost as swanky as the Dorchester.
Being able to turn invisible is really useful when you're watching someone. You can literally stick as close to them as a shadow. But it's not a good idea, because when they step back unexpectedly you get bruised toes. Which isn't much fun.
Jackson Hughes isn't an A-list star. He's a C-list star from New Zealand who's trying to get into the big time. Which was why he was at the Dorchester - it raised his profile.
I got to the corridor where his room was unnoticed. Scruff had got the room number from the Dorchester's computer. I don't mind saying that I have no idea how she does it, but she's a great member of Jane's team.
I entered Hughes' suite in my normal way - I went through the keyhole as a gas. It's kind of a useful thing to be able to do.
The Dorchester really is posh. They have three staff to every room - yes, every ROOM! Jane would be able to stay there, of course (not that she'd want to, she's got a perfectly good flat in a nice part of London), but this was so unlike all the hotels I stayed in with Mum and Dad that I was rather amazed by it all.

To me a hotel room's just that, a room. Somewhere to sleep and, if you're lucky, somewhere to wash as well. A bed, a chair, a TV that doesn't work properly, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers, and probably a weird smell thrown in just to make things interesting. Not the Dorchester. Sitting room, luxury bathroom, four-poster bed... this wasn't just a hotel room, it was a small and very expensive apartment.
And one that Jackson Hughes could barely afford, I reminded myself as I faded back into invisibility and found somewhere no-one was liable to trip over me.
The door opened, and Hughes strolled in with a girl on his arm. Typical Jackson Hughes, I thought. He was known as a ladies' man. Except that any girl who'd go back to Hughes' room with her isn't really a lady.
"Jackson!" the girl laughed as he pushed open the door of the bedroom. She unzipped her dress. Great, I thought, I'm underage, I'm not allowed to watch things like this...
Then the girl screamed. A dark figure wrapped in a black cloak loomed out of the darkness of the bedroom.
"I am the Adventurer!" he declared. "And you, Jackson Hughes, you die tonight!"
And that, I thought as I loaded my crossbow, was my cue!

No comments: