Saturday, April 07, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! 11.


I dropped Scruff off at the smart modern hotel and watched her, disguised by her black cape and mask, hurry away into the darkness. We make quite a team, in my opinion. Me, Scruff and Emily.
But my target was Galliard. He lived on a converted barge in one of the old docks. It's an idea I like, but a reality I don't. And, as someone once said on the matter, go figure.
I parked the car in a quiet spot where no-one would be likely to notice it, and I locked it so that any car thief who did notice it would get a nasty shock - of the electric kind. Then I headed silently through the docklands, soft shoes silent on the pavements. There was no-one around - I was doing well.

I jumped onto the deck of Galliard's barge. He was at home, and below decks. Part of the problem, I thought, would be making sure he didn't get killed while at the same time making sure he didn't notice me. My weight's a great advantage, of course. And I'm so light on my feet... but enough about me.
The deck of the barge gave me plenty of places to hide, and skylights introduced by Galliard gave me a good view of the interior. I looked in through a lighed one, hoping Galliard wouldn't see me, and that he was alone.
He was there all right, slumped in front of the television, asleep. I sighed. For a man whose life had been threatened, Galliard was curiously unconcerned. Maybe he was stupid. But I had no intention of letting him be killed. Unless of course the Green Man wanted to do it. I let him get away with murder. And I mean literally. He's the only man I've ever felt so daffy about, the only man I could settle down with and have a family...
Then I turned my attention back to Galliard.
The wind was bitterly cold, so I was grateful for my cosy costume. Still, the wind got throught, and I sat down on the deck in a sheltered place, alert and waiting for something to happen. I knew Scruff and Emily, both in their places, would be waiting too, and I wondered which of us would be the lucky one and get some action. Then I wished I'd told Emily not to kill anyone unless she really had to.
Never mind, there was always next time.

No comments: