Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Secret Origin of the Girl in Grey


People have asked how it was that I became the Girl in Grey. Well, for their gratification I print, for the first time, the story...

There was a time when I was a fairly normal girl, just an ordinary, rather shy blonde student whose greatest excitement was shrugging off drunken advances at the College bar, and whose greatest worry was finding student digs who'd take my cats. All fifteen of them.
Daddy was a millionaire who had divorced my mother when I was five. He had a new wife, and had as little to do with little me as possible, even after my mother was killed in an air crash while trying to fly the Atlantic solo. I liked things that way. Me and the cats and a little allowance.
One day everything changed. A letter came to the flat telling me that my Daddy had been killed in action. That surprised me, as I always thought he owned a factory. I wondered if he had all the time been a British Secret Agent just pretending to be a lazy millionaire. Later I discovered that it was actually just a misprint. It should have said he was killed in Acton, which is where his factory was. That made a lot more sense.
What was more, he hadn't changed his will to favour the peroxide floozie he'd married, so I got all the money.
I discovered that his killers had been hired by a business rival who wanted to take over his company and, donning a close-fitting grey costume, I fought the killers and won.
Now I use the fortune I inherited to fight crime. And to keep my cats in the style to which they have become acustomed.

Oh, and ever since I met The Green Man, I've wanted to marry him. Together we would be the world's greatest crime-fighting team. But I don't think he'll ever say 'yes' to me.

Why grey? It blends in well in the dark. Actually it was originally meant to be black, but I made a mistake with the dye.

5 comments:

Evan May said...

The Green Man doesn't know what he's missing.

I'll knock some sense into him.

The Girl in Grey said...

You do that. A girl can use all the help she can get.

Zack said...

I liked the part about your Dad being killed in Acton. It adds a tragic human interest to your character. I'm sure the Green Man has a tragic past as well. No doubt Lady A has something to do with it: she probably knocked off his favorite aunt or something while paying a social call.

The Green Man said...

I remember when Harold Wilson promised a hundred days of Acton. Not sure why, though...

The Girl in Grey said...

Acton can always do with the publicity