Wednesday, September 27, 2006

When The Green Man's Away, 12. I'm in a hole.

I slowly and carefully raised both hands, having no desire to be shot in the back. My captor reached around in front of me and removed my equipment belt.
"I don't suppose you'd believe me if I said I was a walker who got lost?" I asked hopefully.
"Not after the stunt you pulled in that church."
Well, I knew who she was - the woman who had run out of the church when I saved Wynn Wynn's life.
"Oh, you remember me?"
"Of course. Walk."
She prodded me with the gun to emphasise her point. I began to walk.
But I don't give up that easily. Well, not usually. As I walked I looked at the floor ahead, not so that I wouldn't trip over, but because I knew there had to be things I COULD trip over there.
I saw a piece of timber and seized my chance, allowing myself to trip up and fall forwards, onto the floor of the tunnel. It was a realistic fall, complete with yell of surprise. I lay there for a second, waiting for the right moment.
"Get up!" my captor barked. I acted at once, rolling onto my back and kicking the gun from her hand. Then I was on my feet, ready to fight.
I won easily. My captor seemed to prefer using a gun to unarmed combat, which worked in my favour. I left her lying in the coal dust on the floor, her smart suit rather spoiled.
My suit looked decidedly messy with black coal-dust all over it, but I couldn't help that (much as a girl likes to look her best when fighting criminals). I moved silently forward, hoping I would be able to reach the nerve-centre of the place unobserved (since Derec Vedder Jones seemed not to have many guards).
Then I stepped through an opening, and to my surprise I found myself in a huge high-tech control room.
"Welcome, my dear, I have been waiting for you."
The man in the centre of the room turned in his huge black chair, and I recognised at once the face of Derec Vedder Jones.

No comments: