Thursday, September 28, 2006

When The Green Man's Away, 14. Happy Landing.

I fell through space, landing heavily at the bottom of the pit. Derec Vedder Jones and his henchmen (the two sadists) laughed at me.
"Look at her there, so small and helpless!"
I heard a growl and jumped to my feet. Whirling around, I faced the Pit Monster. I had wondered what it could be. As far as I'm aware there are no wolves in Wales, so I was half expecting some hideous mutated sheep with glowing red eyes.
Indeed, I saw glowing red eyes and a matted fleece. I bit my lip, determined not to give Derec Vedder Jones the satisfaction of hearing me scream. Grimly, I pulled the bullwhip from my belt, ready to do battle with the beast.
"And now, my pretty girl, you will die!!!" Derec Vedder Jones cried in triumph as the awful thing came closer and closer to me. For once I wished I did carry a gun. That way I'd stand a chance against the thing. Just like me not to have the one thing that might defeat the beast.
"You're doomed!" Jones mocked as the awful thing came closer and closer. My whip seemed to have no effect on it - its fleece acted as a sort of padded armour. Desperately I searched my belt for something that might work.
"Aha! The product of a crazed sheep-breeder in Breconshire will defeat you, my little grey girl! And nothing in the world can stop me now!!"
"I think not, Vedder Jones."
I gasped in astonishment. It was the voice of the Green Man!"
"The Green Man!" Jones yelled. "Where is he?"
"Right here!"
The 'moster' threw off its fleece and discarded the false head with its glowing eyes. Instead a wonderfully familiar green trenchcoat and hat were revealed - and a gleaming automatic pistol.
"And now, Jones, your little scheme for world domination is over," the Green Man said firmly. "Grey Girl, would you do the honours?"
"Of course!"
I cracked my whip, catching a beam, and pulled myself up while the Green Man kept Vedder Jones and his cronies covered. At the top I relieved them of their weapons and held them up while the Green Man climbed up the whip. Once he was at the top I retrieved the whip and put it back in my belt.
With the arrival of the Green Man Derec Vedder Jones and his gang surrendered quickly. We tied them up and left them for the police before leaving in my hired car.
"Well, fancy meeting you here!" I exclaimed once we were under way.
"I knew you would. You see, I was aware of Vedder Jones' plan, and I was busy trying to get into his organisation - as you can see, it took a lot of doing."
"I'll say! Why the Pit Beast?"
"It was the only job they had going. I have a friend in Breconshire who breeds sheep and has a reputation for being slightly strange... the rest was easy. You?"
"Oh, I just followed a lead," I laughed. "Now, I know a nice quiet place in Cardiff where they don't ask questions..."
"You know Ms Madison insists on a chaperone when I go ANYWHERE with you," he replied.
"Oh, that's fine. I've got Samantha."

We both laughed.


Coming next...

THE REVENGE OF THE SPANISH PRISONER

When something goes horribly wrong an old enemy goes after the Girl in Grey. Can our heroine escape from the evil plan of THE SPANISH PRISONER?
Or will she be rescued by the Green Man?

1 comment:

The Girl in Grey said...

By the way, I REFUSE to be rescued by the Green Man any time soon unless he lets me rescue him once in a while.
A girl has to keep up her reputation, you know.