Thursday, September 14, 2006

when The Green Man's Away, 1:The Girl in Grey has a lead

It started as an ordinary evening home, I was feeding my seven cats and trying to stop them figting over food when my white telephone rang. I snatched it up at once, taking care not to tread on anyone's tail.
"Hi?"
"This is the Green Man," the voice said. I smiled.
"This is the Girl in Grey. What's cooking?"
"Something big. Very big. So big that I have to go into deep cover for a while. So will you hold the fort while I'm gone?"
"Well, of course, Green Man," I replied. "On one condition. A date when you're OUT of deep cover."
"Deal. Goodbye."
"Au revoir!" I called, but he had already put down the 'phone. Typical of male crime-fighters, I thought.
I turned to my trusted side-kick, Samantha.
"Well, Sam, I'll have to leave you in charge for a bit," I told her seriously.
"Meow!" she replied. After all, she is a cat.
Leaving Samantha and the other cats in the living-room, I hurried into my bedroom and quickly donned my grey costume. A sweater and jeans went on over the top, and finally a large wide-brimmed hat.
Thus dressed, I left the building, heading for the garage where my grey car was parked.
I had a lead. Someone had left it on the pavement outside my residence, and for starters I wanted to return it. With my cats roaming the streets I don't want dogs running about without leads, they might hurt them. That is, the cats might hurt the dogs.
Soon I was in my grey car, headed across town. Little did I know what I was letting myself in for.

No comments: