Tuesday, September 26, 2006

When The Green Man's Away, 11.

As the runaway truck crashed through the flimsy wooden barrier and into the open mineshaft, I jumped for the strong steel cable that ran down the shaft. I caught it, and hung on for dear life as I heard the truck crash to the bottom.
It sounded a long way down, but down I would have to go if I wanted to find Derec Vedder Jones. Slowly I started to make my way down the cable, glad of my sturdy costume.
At last I reached the bottom of the pit, just when I was starting to feel that even my athletic body could not take much more of this.
It was dark, but I had a torch in my belt that quickly dealt with that. It illuminated the tunnel beautifully. The floor was black with coal-dust, and everywhere water glistened on the tunnel walls.
What was better, there were tracks in the coal-dust on the floor.
I began slowly to follow the tracks. Although there were several, I could make out the tracks of a woman in high heels very plainly. I followed those, figuring they would lead me to Derec Vedder Jones.
It was a heart-stopping journey down the tunnels, for if I met anyone coming the other way there were very few places to hide. At last, however, I came to a section of mine tunnel that was illuminated by electric lamps. I knew I was getting near Derec Vedder Jones's hideout.
Hearing voices, I stopped dead, ready to silence anyone who found me with a quick kick to the jaw.
"Aye, Derec Vedder Jones says he's going to rule Wales, Boyo," a Welshman said.
"He's a clever man, is Derec Vedder Jones. They say he's going to use the chapels."
And no doubt the evangelicals would do their best to stop him if he tried! I was beginning to see the light. Now, if I could just...
At that moment someone pushed a hard object into my back and said in soft, Cheltenham-educated tones:
"Reach, sister."

No comments: