Monday, September 18, 2006

When The Green Man's Away, 5: Night on the Tiles.

I lay on the roof of the shop, hoping no-one would look up and see the mark of my diamond-tipped cutter on the skylight. I could not move for fear that I would make some noise and alert the criminals to my presence.
I thought I needed to teach Samantha how to be a look-out for me so I'd avoid this sort of situation again.
"Where's Jones?" a man's voice demanded. I hoped that meant Derec Vedder Jones and not one of the other million or so Joneses in Wales.
"He's in his own base, Williams," another man said. "But he sent this weapon. It should kill Wynn Wynn right in the middle of his sermon to-morrow morning!"
What evil plot was Derec Vedder Jones working out? More importantly, I thought, where was Wynn Wynn the pastor? Because unless I found out soon, he'd be dead.
The criminals in the shop below me laughed.
"Meow."
I looked up and saw the cat on the other side of the skylight. It was a stranger to me, but cats seem to like me anyhow.
"Hi," I whispered to the cat. "Look, I'm kind of busy..."
The cat moved towards me and, to my horror, it stepped on the skylight. Usually the skylight would have held, but this one had the best part of a circle of glass cut out of it.
"NO!" I called to the cat. But the cat took no notice and stepped onto the circle.
There was a snap, and with a yowl of surprise the cat vanished through the skylight. I heard breaking glass, and the sound of a cat hitting the floor and running off.
"Look!"
That tore it. The men in the shop had seen the suspiciously round hole in the glass.
"There's someone up there!"
No more time for subtlety, I thought. I jumped to my feet and started to run across the row of shop roofs.
"There! It's a girl!" someone cried behind me. I ignored him and carried on running, hoping that my small size and athlectic abilities would save me from being captured or even killed.
Behind me, I heard heavy footfalls on the roofs, and I hoped one might give way behind the men. Seeing a chance I jumped up, onto the roofs of the terraced houses in front of which the shops were built. There, up above the city, I ran.
The crooks wouldn't start throwing lead about lightly, I told myself. One gunshot and every cop in Cardiff would be headed for the area. I didn't want that, and the crooks didn't wat that either.
Suddenly a slate gave way under my right foot. I felt myself slip, tried to grab something, but found only smooth slates. I slid down the roof, towards the edge...

No comments: