Saturday, September 16, 2006

When the Green Man's Away, 4: A Wynn Wynn Situation

"The next victim of our campaign will be Rev. Wynn Wynn of the..." He was about to say where Wynn Wynn was minister when a large man barged into the shop and rang the bell.
"That's what you do to get service here," he told me. I replied with a dirty look.
"Who's first?" a man came through from the back of the shop and I presented the Art Deco cat.
"Me," I said. I handed over the money and left the shop. But not very far. I looked carefully around the building. It looked like it was going to be fairly easy to break into.
Then I went to find something to eat, wishing that the Green Man was there with me. It would be so romantic, I thought, a table for two, a candle...
But no, there was just little me at a table by myself. Unfortunately I only know three restaurants who'll let me take a cat along to eat with me. I carefully put part of my lasagne in a plastic bag for Samantha. She appreciates good food.
When I left the restaurant it was getting dark, and I moved silently through the streets of the city, past the huge neo-Arthurian fantasy of Cardiff Castle.
At last I reached the antiques shop. The front window was dark, and it looked like there was no-one home.
Just the way I like it.
I left my hat and coat in the alleyway and, clad in my close-fitting grey suit, I threw my grappling-hook up to the roof and climbed up.
The roof was pretty flimsy, but fortunately I'm rather light. I found the skylight and started to cut the glass with my diamond-tipped tool.
Then the lights came on inside.

No comments: