Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Double Trouble! 19.

That night I waited on the roof of the old Music Hall. Scruff was waiting nearby, and Emily was on a nearby roof with her crossbow. Not that that's surprising. She can hardly be separated from her crossbow.
Cars were arriving outside. Men in smart suits with huge minders stepped from the vehicles. There would be a LOT of minders around, I thought, and the Black Kitten was only one girl, albeit a lot more agile than most East End minders. If I hadn't cared about her, I'd have let her get beaten to a pulp - but I'm nice. That's my great failing, I think.
There wan't much I could do on the roof, so I looked around for a way in. There was an old skylight that yielded easily to the persuasion of one of my burglary tools (they're so handy) and so I slipped in that way. From the top of the building I made my way down to a catwalk above the stage whch I figured fitted my costume pretty well. There was no sign of any Kitten there yet.

The building was set out as if for a conference, but the only conferring going on was between Moriarty and a number of sharp-suited men in the middle of the floor.
"You know the drill. When she comes in you can get her. No guns. Just fists and feet. Where are they?"
"Here!"
I saw three oriental women in long coats enter. Even from where I was hiding I could see these were no ordinary criminals. They were the legendary Three Jade Tigers, martial arts experts.
It made sense from Moriarty's standpoint. Your business if being disturbed by a teenager who does martial arts, you hire the three best martial arts professionals in London to take her down.
Moriarty laughed wickedly.

This wasn't a business meeting, I realised with a shock. This was a trap, pure and simple! Moriarty must have figured out there was a leak in his organisation and staged this whole thing just to get the Kitten. If I'd been worried before, I was even more worried now.
"Where is the target?" the lead Jade Tiger asked.
"On her way. My men have instructions to let her in here then seal the doors. It'll be a cage match."
"The three of us against one girl? Hardly honourable."
"True. But I'm a London gangster, not some oriental with silly ideas about honour."
"And you pay very well, Mr. Moriarty."
"Moriarty!"
Every eye went to the rear gallery, mine included. There, at the front, stood the Black Kitten. The girl certainly knew how to make an entrance. There was no way I could warn her without sealing my own fate. I was helpless, a mere onlooker.
"The Black Kitten!" Moriarty exclaimed.
"The very same!" With a graceful leap she jumped from the gallery to the centre of the hall. Moriarty laughed.
"Utterly predictable! The trap is sprung!"
The doors all slammed, and the Black kitten looked around, trapped!

No comments: