Monday, March 26, 2007

Revenge of the Adventurer! 4.


I was glad of the good weather. Scruff was still in her spring-weight jumper, which looks quite funny if your sense of humour goes that way, but I thought it was a bit too warm for heavy clothes. I was in my smart suit and the glasses that make me look serious. In my opinion, anyhow. We arrived at the studio in plenty of time and I parked the Jag and strolled into reception followed by Scruff.
A security guard stopped Scruff at the door. Which had happened the last time as well. I suppose both men had thought she looked suspicious. Which is true, but still...
"No auditions..." he began.
"She's my secretary," I pointed out. "Miss Jane Hill, prospective backer for 'the Adventurer'."
"Ah." the security guard looked rather taken aback. "I'm sorry, Miss...?"
"Hill," Scruff replied brightly. "Scruff Hill."
"But she answers to Scruff. I have an appointment with Mr. Galliard. I saw the news..."
"It had nothing to do with this film," the receptionist insisted. "Mr Stock was in debt to a gangland loan shark and he foreclosed."
"Fatally, it seems," I observed. I wasn't buying their story. I know how these things are covered up. Backers get jittery when someone associated with a film is murdered, especially backers who don't moonlight as costumed crime-fighters the way I do. If the killing's related to the film you can more or less kiss the movie goodbye. But I was more interested in finding out who killed Stock than I was in a movie Scruff had already convinced me not to back. Still, that wouldn't keep me from pretending that I was still interested just so I could investigate the studio.
"It was a tragedy. But the film script is already written, and Mr. Galliard's quite a good writer himself. He had quite an input into this script too."
Figured, I thought.
"Can we see Mr. Galliard?" I asked.
"Of course." The secretary led us into his office. Galliard looked worried - and I'd be worried too if I was in his position."
"Miss Hill," he looked up and forced a smile. "How are you?"
"Worried after I heard about Stock," I replied. Scruff nodded.
"I know, it's tragic. But this film is still going ahead!" Galliard's voice was positive, hard and decided.
"I'm glad you don't scare easily. And after all, I'm sure Stock's death had nothing to do with the film..."
Suddenly Galliard's computer made a noise. Looking at it, he sighed.
"just another e-mail. Probably condolences."
Galliard clicked his mouse. Suddenly a voice came from the computer. It was a strange, hollow, sepulchural voice.
"This is the Adventurer, Mr. Galliard," it said. "Your film must cease. One man has already died. Unless the film stops production at once, he will be only the first of many."
We were all speechless as the voice faded away.

No comments: