Thursday, March 01, 2007

Double Trouble! 16.


Once I had dressed after my shower, I had to make breakfast for Scruff and Emily. Scruff's only good at burning food, and I like my bacon a lot less charred than she does.
"You're a great cook, Sis," Scruff told me through a mouth full of food. I shook my head and sighed.
"Scruff! Mouth CLOSED!"
"Sorry." she answered, her mouth still full of food. She's impossible sometimes!
It was a little after ten when my grey Jaguar left its garage behind the block where we live. I was driving and Emily was being invisible in the back.
"What's the plan?" she asked me.
"My plan is to ring the bell. When the door's opened, you slip in and find Laura. Tell her that she's in terrible danger."
"Great plan. She'll just laugh at you. She doesn't know you like we do, so she does't respect you."
I love that about Emily, she's so considerate.
We arrived at Moriarty's residence in Clapham in wonderful sunshine. The house is incredibly smart, and it took someone as brave as myself to walk boldly up to the door and push the bell.

The door was opened by an old retainer who looked like he'd been a heavyweight boxer once. Now he was in his second career - that of a thug.
"Wot d'yer want?" he demanded menacingly. I fluttered my eyelashes at him.
"My name's Jane Hall," I adopted my most transparent alias. "I'm collecting for the Battersea Dogs' Home, and..."
"Buster, what is it?" I heard Moriarty's voice. He sounded worryingly calm.
"A Miss 'All 'oo's collectin' fer the Battersea Dogs' 'Ome," Buster replied in broad Cockney.
"Ah! Show her in."
He wasn't supposed to do that. He was meant to turn me away. I was actually worried.
I was even more worried when the huge manservant grabbed me by the front of my blouse and dragged me inside. I lost two buttons in the process. There HAS to be an easier way to drag a girl inside!
Not that I had the time to say that sort of thing then. I just thought that I was in serious trouble!
And I don't mean maybe!

No comments: