Friday, March 09, 2007

Double Trouble! 21.


The tracker on the car gave me time to get back down to my car, where Scruff was waiting. She looks rather good in her Robin outfit, I think. Not that I'd force her to wear it when she didn't want to, but our opponents had already seen her dressed like that, so they wouldn't know her appearance any better than they already did.
"Sis! What's up?"
"The Black Kitten's been captured! We need to get after her!" I jumped behind the wheel and started the car as Emily jumped in Scruff's side. The high-tech displays lit up, automatically locating the tracker.
"Hang on!" I called, "They're going fast!"
Why was I going fast too, if I had a tracker on the car? Simple, I didn't know where they were taking Laura, and I wanted to be close enough to see if she was transferred to another vehicle. my car's distinctive, but not a lot of crooks know what it looks like, so I had a chance of not being noticed.
"We have to find where she's being taken," I said.
"And then what?" Emily asked, checking her crossbow. "We rescue her?"
"In short order, yes. She's not one of us, but she's on our side. I can't let her die."
"DIE?" Scruff was horrified. "But it's her Dad..."
"Do you know what he did to her mother? He slit her throat when he found her having an affair with another man. Moriarty may look like a cultured, witty, urbane gentleman, but he's really a ruthless killer."
"That's what I told her," Emily agreed. " So it's vital we rescue her."
"How do we get in?" Scruff asked. "Emily's way?"
"You mean shoot everyone who tries to pull a gun? It has a certain appeal, but no, I don't think so. Of course it depends where she's being taken."
We were speeding through the Capital's streets now. I don't care which speed cameras pick me up - my car's numberplate's a fake. The real one belongs to Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London. I wonder what he does with the penalty notices he recieves?

I tracked the car to Battersea. There it turned off the main road, and I turned too. We were in a warren of old streets, amidst rotting warehouses that had not yet been transformed into luxury residences. Development property belonging to none other than Moriarty himself! I was willing to bet he had a nasty little torture-chamber in one of the buildings. He's that sort of nasty man.
The car signal stopped. I slowed and carried on right by as Scruff used my night-vision goggles from the glove compartment to see what the thugs were doing.
"They're getting her out of the car and carrying her into the building," she reported. I turned the next corner and there I brought the car to a standstill. Emily slipped out and turned invisible. She ran to make sure Laura wasn't just being transferred.
"Okay," Scruff," I turned to my sister. "This is it. Ready?"
"Ready," she smiled.
I heard a piercing scream and I hoped Laura wouldn't be too badly hurt by the time we got to her.

No comments: