Monday, March 12, 2007

Double Trouble! 22.


Leaving the grey car concealed and secure (not to mention ready to ruin any would-be car thief's evening, should he try to steal it), we moved stealthily to the front of the building. There Emily met us.
"There's two guards on each door," she said.
"Then let's use a different door," I uncoiled my whip from my belt and looked up. Above the alley where I'd left the car were a number of doors for loading goods into the upper floors of the warehouse. Above those rotten wooden doors were cast-iron cranes that had been used to lift goods from the alley where we were to the warehouse's upper floors.
My way in! I caught one of the beams with my whip and climbed the strong leather thong. Hanging there, I was able to quickly get into the building. Scruff and Emily climbed up after me. We stood together in the room that was filled with the smell of decay. I drew a small torch from my belt and handed it over to Scruff. I took another torch for myself.
"I'm going to have to get a few belt-pouches in this costume," Scruff joked.

"We have to be careful," I warned her. "You might be infringing someone's copyright."
"Like you care."
"Like I care," I admitted.
Emily led the way. Being able to become invisible's a pretty handy power. Mind you, being black and smoky's rather a drawback in everyday life. Or that's how I see it. It's how Emily sees it as well.
The upper floors of the building seemed to be deserted. I wasn't very surprised. After all, the floors felt unsafe under my feather-like weight. I dread to think how they'd feel under the feet of one of those former heavyweights London gangsters seem to favour as minders/enforcers. One of them would be liable to end up in the cellar - always assuming the cellar wasn't vaulted, of course.
Emily hissed, a signal for us to stop. We were near the main stairs, and I think that's what she'd found.
Then I heard something else hiss. A couple of seconds later there was another hiss and the sound of two bodies hitting the floor.

Emily's way. I'd hoped we could be a little more subtle than shooting guards. But there we go, Emily's a violent little Outsider, that's all there is to it.
"Come on!"
Whip held ready, I hurried forwards. There I saw Emily standing on the galleried landing and two bodies on the floor below.
"They were expecting attack from the front."
"I know. But..."
I didn't get to finish. I was interrupted by another piercing scream.
Laura! I ran down the stairs, ready to face anything.
Anything but the six huge men with guns who faced me. None of them looked at all friendly. And I don't mean maybe!!!

No comments: