Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Double Trouble! 24.

A black crossbow-bolt knocked the knife out of the air.

"You're finished, Moriarty!" Scruff announced in best movie style, striding into the room with her cape flowing behind her.
"Who the bloody hell do you think you are?" Moriarty asked.
"Me? I'm the girl who's stopping you," Scruff replied happily.
"Do you know who the Black Kitten is?" I asked him, trying to ignore the pain in my shoulder where his knife was still sticking in me.
"What, you think I don't know my own daughter? Of course I know it's Laura. She's just like her mother, selling out everything."
"Dad!" Laura gasped. "You knew it was me and you still did that to me?"
"Yeah. Like I did it to your mother! She was screaming for pity, but I killed her."
Emily struck the shackles off Laura's wrists, releasing the Black Kitten. Laura stumbled forwards.
"Oh! Oh, thanks!"
"What do we do with your Dad?" Scruff asked. It was an important question. After all, there he was, being covered by Emily's crossbow.

"Call the police," Laura replied. "Tie him up and leave him for them to find. There's illegal drugs in this warehouse..."
"You little..." Moriarty pulled a knife from under his coat and leaped forward. But Emily's reflexes are excellent. Unfortunately they're also an assassin's reflexes. She loosed off a bolt without even having to think about it.

Laura screamed as the crossbow-bolt buried itself in her Dad's stomach and he fell to his knees on the floor.
"No! I can't lose!" he cried. But the crossbow-bolt said otherwise. What was worse, there was no hope. Emily automatically shoots to kill.
"I... I'm dying!" he gasped. "And I was going to kill you. All of you..."
He pitched forward onto his face. I checked his pulse, but there was nothing. He was dead.
"No!" Laura cried, kneeling down beside the fallen body. "No! You killed him!"
"I'm sorry," Emily said awkwardly, red glowing eyes cast down. "I... it was a reflex. It was automatic..."

"You're a little killer! Laura sobbed. "Oh, I hate you! Dad! Dad!"
"Laura," I knelt down beside her. "I know how you feel. My Dad was murdered when I was nineteen. It's tough. But you have to go on."
"She killed him..."
"I know. You've killed pople as well, haven't you?"
She nodded tearfully.
"It's not a game, is it? It's nasty sometimes, dirty and unpleasant. And it breaks your heart. Come on. Before the police arrive."
With my arm injured, Scruff had to help Laura up. I called the police from my car just before we left. Once again they were going to pick up the pieces.

No comments: