Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Double Trouble! 15.

I rose early, as I usually do, to find Emily was already up and watching the breakfast news.
Then so was I. A huge fire had ripped through a haulage company's yard in the East End, destroying everything. Five men working for the company had been killed. Apparently it was arson. A girl in skin-tight black had been seen running from the scene, but the police had no leads on her.

I did. The Black Kitten had struck again. Moriarty owned that yard, and although the news report said that the yard and goods had been fully ensured, I knew differently. There had been items in that yard that no-one could insure because they were very, very illegal. The Black Kitten had destroyed several million pounds' worth of heroin shipments that had been stored in the yard prior to their being sold on.
She was waging a one-girl war against her Dad's business. Maybe Laura thought she was clever and wouldn't be caught. Certainly she's overpowered the guards there. But I knew it was only a matter of time before she slipped up and discovered this isn't a game, it's a serious, deadly business.
"It's her, isn't it?" Emily said. I nodded soberly.
"It's her. That was one of her Dad's businesses. He wn't be in the mood to donate funds to any cause, however good, this morning. I know he kept heroin shipments in that yard."
"How do you know?"
"Oh, I have a friend who has sources of information. An old school and university friend. She keeps me up to date with these things. That heroin wasn't moving for another week, and I was planning a raid on the yard myself..."
"But Blackie beat you to it?"
"Yes, she did."
"It must be hard, having a Dad who's a crime boss."
"Yes. Now, I need to take a shower and you need to dress."
She may be black and smoky, but I could see her hair was done up in a towel.
"Okay, boss," Emily slipped off the sofa and ran back to her room while I went to use the shower.
Blackie was playing a dangerous game, I thought to myself as I showered. Obviously she was rebelling against her father, but while for most teenage girls that results in long rows and sulking, Laura was liable to end up dead or worse. Yes, you read that right. There are nastier things than ending up dead, and Mr. Moriarty, charming fellow that he is, knows most of them.
I had to warn her. And I had to deal with Mr. Moriarty. That's not what I normally do, usually I work slowly towards smashing big gangsters like him, but little Blackie had forced my hand. Bless the irritating little girl!

No comments: