Monday, February 12, 2007

Double Trouble! 5.


It was her! The Black Kitten! And there I was in my Batgirl costume, hoping she'd believe I wasn't on the other side!
"Batgirl?" Scruff asked me, "what's the plan?" Trust Scruff to have the presence of mind to keep on needling me even when the Black Kitten had burst not entirely unexpectedly onto the scene.
"You keep out of trouble," I answered. The costume I was wearing was similar enough to my Girl in Grey outfit for the Black Kitten to possibly recognise me. Maybe. Yes, it was rather a long shot.
A dozen gangland enforcers drew guns. Great, I thought, the Black Kitten was about to get herself very nastily killed in a luxury hotel. I wasn't going to let them do that. For one thing, blood's almost impossible to get out of the carpet.
"Watch your backs, boys!" I cried, hurling myself into the fray, cape flying. The Black Kitten took advantage of the distraction, and then both of us were wading through the enforcers, who were afraid to use their guns for fear of hitting someone else's enforcer and sparking a gang war. I love crooks who depend too much on guns, it makes them so easy to beat. Oh, not to mention that they look so pathetic after being beaten up by a couple of cute girls like me and Kitty-cat.
Us girls, we didn't use guns. We used hands and feet. It's so much more fun that way. Funny, when I was a little girl with my hair in pigtails, my teacher told me off for kicking a boy. I've never grown out of the habit, though. If only she could see me now...

"Do I know you?" the Black Kitten asked.
"Well, you kicked me in the jaw last night, and it still hurt."
"Oh, sorry, you were wearing a different costume."
"I bet you weren't wearing that one when you came in!"
"Okay, I wasn't," she smashed a crook's front teeth in with her right foot. "The men on the door wouldn't let me in dressed like this."
The gang leaders were running away, but I got the idea that the Black Kitten was just trying to scare them, not bring any of them in.
"So, you're striking terror into the hearts of the wicked?"
"And their faces," she added, socking another enforcer in the face. I smiled. With all these illegal handguns around the place the hotel was unlikely to call the police.
"You nearly got yourself killed!"
"I had a plan," she protested. Yes, I thought, she was about Scruff's age, just a teenager with some serious issues. "I don't need your help!"
"From where I was standing I thought you did. Come on, let's get out of here before reinforcements arrive!"
"You're going no-where!"
We turned to face one of Moriarty's men. The man had a huge gun pointed at us, and he looked angry enough to shoot us both several times over.
"Hi," I said. I wasn't sure what else to say.
We were caught!

No comments: