Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Double Trouble! 14.


We were greeted by a tired Scruff when we got back. She looked like she needed to go to bed.
"Hi, Scruff," I said cheerily. She groaned.
"Hi yourself, Sis. How was it?"
"Great. Emily now knows the Black Kitten, and apparently they get on okay."
"Wonderful. What now?"
"Now we know who she is, I'm going to pay Mr. Moriarty a visit."
"Sis, that house..."
"She gets in and out, doesn't she? Anyhow, it won't be the Girl in Grey, it'll be..."
"Batgirl?" Sometimes Scruff can be very annoying.
"No, Miss Jane Hill, wealthy philanthropist."
"In glasses?"
"In glasses. He's never seen me unmasked before, and if I wear glasses I might look less athletic."
"You won't. What make you think he'll even look at your face?"
"Scruff, now you're being offensive."
"Sorry, force of habit. Will I have to come too?"
"No. I'll take Emily along. If you'll come."
"Try to stop me," Emily said with determination in her voice. Actually you don't try to stop Emily. If you do you end up with a crossbow bolt in you and she carries on without you. Not that she's ever shot me, but she's shot other people.
"Then I want you to go and meet with Laura while I'm talking to Mr. Moriarty. You have to warn her that her Dad won't spare her just because she's his daughter."
"Okay. And what do we do now?"
"We go to bed. Whatever the Black Kitten's doing tonight the clues on her blog are far too vague for me to get in there before she turns up. I wish she'd be more precise because I'm getting worried about her."
"You're jealous," Scruff said tauntingly.
"Scruff, it took me months to train to my presnt level of perfection. When I was tracking the men who paid for Dad's death I nearly died four times. The Black Kitten might not be so lucky. I'm worried about her."
I hoped that would wash. To tell the truth I was a little annoyed with her for kicking me in the jaw and taunting me on her blog.
But I was tired, so I went off to bed. Emily and Scruff went to bed too. We'd need all our strength the following day.
And so would Laura, although none of us knew that.

No comments: