Thursday, February 22, 2007

Double Trouble! 12.


[Outsider here]
I might not agree with everything the Black Kitten was doing, but she was brave. I wasn't going to let her show me up and, drawing my crossbow, I stepped through the door to stand beside her.
We faced four armed men in pyjamas and one armed woman in a nightie. The Black Kitten radiated defiance in her pose.
"Hi!" she said.
"The Black Kitten!" one of the men cried.
"Yeah, Moriarty wants her alive," the woman declared. "He'll pay ten thousand pounds for her!"
"Sounds good to me," one of the men agreed.
"You forgot someone," I said, stepping forward.
"The Outsider!" even the men were afraid.
"Stay out of this, Outsider," the Kitten warned. I shook my head resolutely.
"What, and miss all the fun? No way, Kitten-cat. I enjoy a fight too!"
"Okay!" the Black Kitten laughed, "Two and a half to one!"
"Nice odds. I prefer them higher!"
One of the men went for his gun. I shot him through the right wrist, and then there were three men and a woman.
The Black Kitten was a great little fighter. Okay, she's bigger than me, but she's smaller than Jane. We fought as a team, using the geography of the house as a weapon. We moved smoothly, fluidly, knocking out our opponents one by one.
The woman caught the Kitten's left ankle and threw her to the floor. The Kitten was prepared for that, she bounced back to her feet, and when she knocked the woman down, the woman stayed down.

"Go!" the Kitten cried as we heard the sound of heavy boots descending the stairs. We ran through Pat's room together and hurled ourselves out of the window. We landed on top of an expensive car, denting its roof, and then we ran away from the house.
"Outsider, you're wonderful," the Black Kitten gasped when we deemed it safe to stop running.
"You're not so bad yourself, Blackie."
"BLACKIE!!??" she cried. I laughed.
"Blackie. Don't you like it?"
"Well, yes, but..."
"Then I'll call you Blackie. I'm Emily Fairbairn, by the way. I'm officially dead, so that name doesn't mean anything to anyone."
"I can't tell you my real name."
"What are you trying to do?"
"Get myself killed, I think sometimes. No, I... I've got a family problem. This is my way of trying to solve it."
"You're deliberately putting yourself in harm's way because your Dad's a gangster?"
"Pretty much, yes."
"I was afraid of that. I have to get back to the Girl in Grey."
"And I have to get home. So long, Emily! See you later!"
"So long, Blackie!"
I watched her until she vanished from sight and I heard a motorbike start up. Then I went back to Jane. I hoped the Kitten would be all right.

No comments: