Saturday, February 03, 2007

Priory of Death: 20


I was woken bright and early by The Outsider jumping on my bed. I'd locked the door, but she'd come in under it. There was a girl who could do a locked-room murder and get away with it.
"What?" I asked sleepily.
"It's Scruff. All the guests are clean."
"Great. Thanks."
"Grey!"
I sat up.
"Outsider, I had my reasons for asking Scruff to do that, and the result's confirmed my suspicions. I think we're looking at a hit here, a gangland assassination. One of a very peculiar kind too."
"I'll tell Scruff you're fine and being mysterious," she poked me. I poked her back.
"You do that."
I got up, showered and dressed in my close-fitting grey costume. Then I went downstairs. The butler was still giving me lustful looks, but maybe he didn't think I noticed.
"Hi," I strolled into the breakfast room and sat down. "How are people?"
"Did you find the killer?" Mr. Richards asked. I nodded.
"Oh yes, I know who killed James Hamilton and Connie Yorke."
"Was it the Prior's curse?" Amelia asked me earnestly.
"I fail to see how events five hundred years ago can affect us today," Mr. Richards answered tartly.
"That's because you're a materialist," Victoria scolded him. "Didn't Scruff see the ghost? And didn't Mr. Hamilton vanish in the Pit?"

"No to both," I told them. "I'm sorry, but the 'ghost' was just someone dressed as a monk. It OPENED doors. Yet this building wan't here in the Middle Ages. A real ghost would just have walked through a wall."
"The Pit?"
"It's a machine. A vicious killing machine, but a machine nonetheless. I know because someone tried to kill me in it last night. Unfortunately for them, I survived. The floor lowers, then the ceiling drops down onto it, crushing the victim and leaving an empty floor when the door's opened. Connie was killed there too. I only managed to escape because I have resources the killer didn't know about."
"You mean the Jesuits built a huge killing machine in the old well-shaft?" Amelia was fascinated. They all were. I shook my head.
"No, Amelia, I don't. You see, the Jesuits didn't build anything here."
"Then the monks?"
"No. Because there never were any monks here either."
"But..." Victoria sounded confused. "You mean...?"
"I do," I nodded. They were hanging on my every word. "Dentree Priory is a fake."

No comments: