Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Double Trouble! 10.

The Black Kitten had not replied to my reply to her comment, and Scruff was still working on breaking into Joe Olivers' security system. Meanwhile the Outsider was inside the Malone house. I'll let her tell what happened there.

'Muggins' Malone had a pretty good security set-up, but only hermetically sealing the place would have kept me out, and that would have suffocated everyone inside too, so it would have been silly.
I came in through the letterbox as a cloud of black smoke and resolved myself into me on the doormat. A huge ferocious dog bounded in, saw me, and ran off again whimpering with fear, its tail between its legs. I do that to dogs, I'm not sure why. Jane's cats all like me, but maybe it's a cat-dog thing.
The house was a pretty smart one, expensively renovated too. I moved completely silently, ignoring the closed-circuit TV cameras, since I don't exactly go around by daylight. I could have been invisible, but I'm the Outsider, I have a reputation to keep up.
The laser-beams that were projected above dog-height passed straight through my black smoky form. I'm a nightmare to security systems because I'm transparent.
With a dog around there weren't going to be pressure sensors, which meant I could move easily. I headed up the stairs, looking for Patricia's room.
It was a pretty easy search. It had 'Pat's room' written on a pink plaue on the door. That was thoughtful of her. Instead of opening the door I poured myself through the keyhole and became solid again inside.
It was a nice bedroom. Rather like one I had before I was the Outsider, only of course a little more grown-up. There was a dress on the floor, and Pat, arather pretty girl with red hair, was lying in bed sleeping soundly. I always get a little upset when I see pretty girls with red hair, because I ougt to be one. Well, I was one, actually.

I dissolved again and poured myself into her wardrobe. That's not a very comfortable thing to do, but I didn't want to wake her. I also thought that, if she was the Black Kitten, there might be a secret compartment in the back of her wardrobe. As a gas I'b be able to find it.
Keeping myself together in a single cloud, I drifted about the wardrobe. It's a really weird feeling, being a gas.
I drifted through a gap, into the cupboards above the wardrobe. I drifted about some more, and ended up back outside the wardrobe, near the ceiling. No secret back. I quickly resolved myself into a girl again, and looked around.
The window slid up, and I gasped. Now I knew Pat wasn't the Black Kitten - there they were in the same room!

No comments: