Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Priory of Death: The shocking truth!

"I..."
"I took the liberty of doing some snooping, and while I might not be the world's greatest detective, I found your black habit!"

I pushed back the book-case. Victoria stared in horror at the garment.
"I always thought you'd get into bad habits," I told her. "But MURDER is the very worst!"
"I..."
"Like I said, Victoria, you made the mistake of assuming everything you read in two very doubtful books was true. But I'm a detective, and a very good one. That's why you tried to kill me, isn't it?"
"I... How could I have killed Connie?"
"You followed her to the Pit and turned on the mechanism while she was in there, then your accomplice moved the two bodies. He used a recording of you screaming to alert me and set me on a false trail. Only I didn't fall for your trick. And I know you've got a gun in that sporran, Mr. Campbell, so don't try to draw it."
"Or I might shoot you somewhere serious," The Outsider materialised slowly, crossbow held ready. Amelia screamed.
"A ghost! This place is haunted!"
"No, the Outsider. She's a friend of mine - and a handy shot with a crossbow."

Emily demonstrated, her bolt pinning Mr. Campbell's kilt to his chair.
"Mr. Duncan Campbell, alias 'the Highlander', Glasgow hitman," I said. "You and Victoria set this place up as a trap. Lure people out here and kill them with the 'Devil Pit'."
"But Mr. Hamilton..." Amelia began.
"A former Glasgow gangster and police informer. That's why he was killed. And where is your husband, Victoria?"
"I told you, at the station waiting for a train."
"Really?"
"Really! Look, I screwed up on this place, I believed the stories, but I really do have a husband, and he really is at the station."
"No he isn't," the door opened and a man I didn't recognise entered with a dozen police officers. "I was waiting for an expert to come from London, and she was a few days late. Ah, the Girl in Grey. I heard you were here. I see you've just exposed my wife as a killer. Detective Inspector Hoffmann, Glasgow Police."
"We're married!" Victoria wailed.
"Not really. You see, the minister who performed the ceremony wasn't a minister. All right, men, take them away."
"What's that?" one of the officers was staring at Emily.
"She's called the Outsider, and she dosn't like being stared at."
"No," Emily made herself invisible again.
The criminals were removed. D.I. Hoffmann sat down at the table.
"Now, I don't want this New Year's party to be a total disaster. Is there any more breakfast?"
"That goes for me too," Emily reappeared and sat down.

And we actually had rather a good time too.


THE END
of 'Priory of Death'
But the Girl in Grey will be back in

'DOUBLE TROUBLE'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That one was good! I ws on the edge of my seat, you know.

The Girl in Grey said...

Thank you. Mind you, I hope I never find myself in a giant crushing machine ever again!