Thursday, February 08, 2007

Double Trouble! 2.


When I'd recovered from the vicious kick that girl gave me, I pulled my Girl in Grey mobile from my belt and called Scruff at my secret base where she'd been keeping an eye on things.
"Scruff!"
"Hello Grey Car, this is Huston, we are recieving you strength nine..."
"Scruff, stop fooling around, this is important!"
"Okay. What is?"
"Some little wannabe in a black outfit running around pretending to be me. Well, sort of. She dresses like a cat too, and she calls herself the Black Kitten. I want any and every reference to her, partial reference, sighting of me places I haven't been... that sort of thing."
"Wow! You're serious. What's the problem?"
"she kicked me in the jaw and I'm feeling hissy. No-one kicks me in the jaw and gets away with it, not even if she's wearing a rather impressive costume."
"Okay, but you're getting a reputation."
"For what?"
"Being the world's cattiest detective. Catbasket out."
I DON'T call my secret base that either.
I know I can be catty, but that girl kicked me in the jaw and left me lying in the road, defenceless. That I didn't like, and I inisist that it was her disregard for my safety that sent me after that Black Kitten, not my cattishness. Well, maybe a bit of that, but it was mostly worry that she might not care about bystanders that made me check up on her. And I'm sticking to the story.
I took an early night, and my jaw still hurt in the morning. Kindly Emily had fed the cats, so I was able to lie in bed for a while.
I couldn't help thinking about the Black Kitten. I'd heard anger in her voice. Was it because she was mad at me (very possible) or was she just angry? Did that anger drive her to be the Black Kitten?
"Sis, are you awake?"
The sound of Scruff's voice made me smile.
"Hi, Scruff. How did the search go?"
"Someone reported seeing you in Brick Lane on Christmas Day, and there was a sighting of you on the roof of the Metropolitan Tabernacle on New Year's Eve. You weren't even in London then. Four drug-smugglers were killed in a mysterious explosion on a barge in Docklands on Boxing-Day, and a dozen gangsters were beaten up by an unknown person in black on 7th January. The name 'Black Kitten' occurs in four files. A threatening letter signed by a 'Black Kitten' was found in the home of 'Big Knuckles' Carrier, who was found beaten half to death on January 3rd. He swore he was attacked by a seven-foot tall thug, but the note was apparently written by a young woman."
"That figures. 'Big Knuckles' wasn't going to say he'd been whipped by a girl. What next?"
"13th January. A young woman calling herself the Black Kitten and using a disguised voice called in a tip-off to Scotland Yard that netted a dozen major-league gangsters in the Borough. 15th January, same name, a tip-off that led to the recovery of a couple of million in stolen used banknotes. 20th January, a kidnapped girl returned to her home saying 'the Black Kitten' had freed her. When the police went to the place the girl said she'd been held it was like a bomb went off in there. Someone beat up the kidnappers."
"Where did you get that?" I asked. Scruff laughed.
"I hacked into the Scotland Yard mainframe. I think she does that too."
Progress!

No comments: