Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Double Trouble! 1.


I was on my way back from convincing 'Big Vinnie' Clay that he didn't really want to send his men round to break a widow's legs, and there was some distance between me and my car. I know my way around London perfectly, and so I moved easily towards my destination. Not only is my car theft-proof, I left the Outsider in it as an extra deterrent. She would be using my onboard internet connection, but I trust her.
I'd just left a rooftop in Wapping when I heard the cry. My perfect directional hearing pin-pointed it, and I turned and ran, pulling my whip from my belt as I ran. As I rounded a corner I saw a man lying on the road with a broken neck, and through the fog ahead of me I saw a dark, indistinct figure.
I ran to the fallen man. Then I stopped as I saw who was standing in the fog.
It was a girl, dressed a lot like me. Only she wasn't me. Her costume was darker, her eyes covered by green eyepieces.
"Who are you?" I demanded. "Did you kill him?"

She bolted. I ran after the girl in the dark costume. I'm not against other girls doing what I do, but I like to know they really are fighting crime, not just getting kicks from killing people while dressed in a strange costume. There are people like that, and I don't like it.
I ran around a corner, following her flapping tail. I ran into a fist like a piece of lead and I went down. I found a black boot rather uncomfortably on my throat and a black mask that completely concealed its wearer's face looking down at me.
"Stay away," she said simply. I could see nothing through the green eyepieces, although she could see me, and I could detect no expression beneath the black mask. I hate that. I like to see who I'm talking to, especially when I'm at such a disadvantage.
"Who are you?" I asked, holding her slim ankle with both my hands. I don't like the idea of having my throat crushed much.
"Who made you the boss?"
"I did. Sister, it's not a game..."
"I know. Stay away from me."
"Give me a name. I'm the Girl in Grey..."
"I know. I'm the Black Kitten. Stay away."
She tried to lift her foot. I let go of her ankle.
Then the Black Kitten kicked me in the jaw and sprinted off.
I hate that. Seriously.
When my vision cleared and I was sure my head was still in place, I got cautiously to my feet and staggered over to the body.
He looked like an East End mobster. There's a lot around. I felt too groggy to search him, and I only just managed to stagger back to the car.
Emily jumped out when she saw me.
"Grey! What happened?"
"Some little thug calling herself the Black Kitten kicked me in the jaw. She's wearing a dark and sinister version of my suit, and I don't like it."
"Why not?"
"She's stealing my gimmick. But the important thing is that she kicked me in the jaw. Home, Outsider. We've got work to do."
I fell into the passenger seat as Emily started up the car.
I don't mind telling you I felt very, very catty.

No comments: